1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Funding in a free School

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by anotherone, Dec 4, 2015.

  1. anotherone

    anotherone New commenter


    I've recently taken a job in a free school as head of the Performing Arts department. We have just started to run GCSE's including GCSE Music. In previous schools I have worked as a teacher at GCSE music students have received free peripatetic lessons as part of the curriculum. My question is where do I get the money to be able to do this? I seem to hit a wall with every avenue I take and I am told that the school does not have the money to pay for them. The school is not in an affluent area and most of the students in the class are on free school meals and are pupil premium students.

    I have spoken to the music service also and they don't have the funding or know of any to offer this.

    Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    Your school gets all its funding devolved and cannot access services from the LA unless it pays for them. You'll either have to pay for lessons out of existing school/dept funding - or charge for them.

Share This Page