1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding for school trips

Discussion in 'School trips' started by telgil2000, Mar 1, 2010.

1. I am always looking for new sources of funding for our school trips, often to no avail. At the moment we can get funding from only 2 sources that I am aware of:-
    Waived fees funding from our LEA for pupils on free school meals - although this isnt as useful as it used to be as they have changed their system to pay retrospectively due to problems with having funded pupils whose parents cicumstances have then changed, leaving them unentitled to the funding. I can understand why they have done this, but it now makes life difficult for those low income families who cant afford to pay the whole cost of a trip then have some of it refunded once the trip has run and the borough pays up.

Funding for registered young carers, from our local carers association. This is discretionary and while they do what they can from their fundraised pot it dosent always go very far.

Are there any other pots of money, either in the Wiltshire area or nationally, that you have come across to supply funding for school trips?

Would be very grateful for any info

thanks

So if any

2. Riv

Riv New commenter

Sorry, can't be of any help. In this authority, as far as I can acertain we don't even have the two funding sources you have access to. It's "school fund" or parents or nothing. Given the high rate of unemployment around here for most pupils it's generally nothing.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sometimes we can apply to a community fund (we are in Birmngham) to assist some students to access trips.

4. Hi
    It’s not “a pot of money” but we offer an affiliate scheme whereby anyone making a booking for a theatre break through your school’s link raises money for the school – whether they are teachers, parents, ex-pupils, governors or every visitor to your site. It can be an excellent source of funds and often links in well with the idea of the trip itself.
    We organise school trips to London and Stratford-Upon-Avon and the scheme can raise money for a specific trip (that may or may not be organised by ourselves) or for the school in general.

http://www.webgains.com/signup.html?programid=2316
    It is a scheme that would work well from anywhere within a donut of 50 to 250 miles of London as London is the most popular destination.
    Rgds
    Simon
    Theatre Breaks - Education

5. I teach at a rural primary school. We are quite fortunate in that there is a local trust that we can apply to for assistance to meet educational needs of local children. The trustees are usually willing to meet much of the cost of a child coming on the residential visit, if the family can't afford to pay. I know this is localised to us but if you Google "Educational trust fund" and also add the name of your town or community, you might just come across something useful. Good luck!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This year we have managed to tap into a funding stream to help out kids from poor families. Our CPO has found money to pay for some of our kids to go on a residential trip. The kids have to be on Free school meals. She has found money for 8 kids at £140 each so it isn't chicken feed. I don't know where she got it, I'll ask her when I see her next week.

7. Hi, I'm an extended schools cluster manager and funds are always an issue. I am based in a secondary school and they try and make the minibus available to partner schools - but that only holds 14 children, so is limited, but another school in the area has a 30 seater coach that they hire out for cost to local faith schools. As a group of schools we run an annual trip for families to the seaside as many of our children have never seen the sea. Last year I managed to get a grant of £1000 from first group coaches towards the trip, but this year it's proving really difficult. There is money out there but it takes days to trawl through the guidelines and make the applications.
    One of the best avenues I've found are organisations set up to help 'disadvantaged' families who will make small pots of money available to help subsidise trips and activities - only for those families who meet their criteria - but anything helps! It means that everything has to be planned months in advance and can't be guaranteed untl last minute. It's tough at the moment.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Check your insurance with the minibus. Our old policy allowed us to lend it to other schools but our new policy (£1000 per year per bus cheaper) only allows our staff to drive it on our school business. (So no weekend/private use). We only changed because the old insurers (Norwich Union) didn't allow MIDAS drivers whereas our new one (Zurich) does. The 2 grand saving was an unexpected bonus.

9. Hi there,
    Have you tried contacting the British Council regarding funding for a school trip?
    www.britishcouncil.org
    I'm not sure the amount of how the application process works for each school and county but it's worth a shot!

Good luck and keep us posted.

10. Is it generally quite hard for schools to get funding for trips and other school improvements?

11. Hi everyone,

I work for the YHA as Project Lead Education Development. We offer school trip packages from £45pp (full board residential) and day trips packages in certain regions from £10. Because we believe all children should have the opportunity to learn outside the classroom, we offer bursary funds for up to 50%. For more info about this, please visit our website www.yha.org.uk/school-trips

I do know that English Heritage offers free educational trips and even has coach funding offers.

I hope that helps.

Mike

ps. anyone can contact me directly with specific questions, too.

12. Partner recently died and am struggling to pay for her trip and uniform please help