1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

funding for school rock band

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tonylinds, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ideas who I should be approaching to help fund our primary school rock band? The kids have been rehearsing for 2 years now and although we've played the odd local show - I would love to push on with this and get them in a recording studio , play some shows/schools further afield. Any advice massively appreciated!!
    Tony

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

3. thanks Giraffe,
    we are a tiny school of 55 kids so fund raising gigs dont have the same impact as they might in a bigger school. I've looked into youth music - I found the criteria for getting support quite rigid to be honest but I will pursue this avenue if no others present themselves. Sponsorship would be the best option I suppose, Iv also heard some banks get involved in this sort of thing but I cant find anything to back this on their websites - oh well, back to the drawing board...
    Tony

4. Ring some local businesses and ask them for cash. I've done this to help pay for school productions and raised a fair amount, last time I had 20 or so places donate £40 - 100. The Rotary club have cash for projects sometimes.
    Ring a recording studio and see if they will offer you a deal, or ask amongst your friends for a musician contact who may be able to come to school and record the pupils there - I know a few mates who have the kit to do this, and, if asked, would probably just want an amount to cover their expenses. Alternatively, ask at a local secondary school - my school does this, sharing resources with primary pupils.

5. Would there be anyway of drawing some funding down for something like this? http://www.rockschool.co.uk/qualifications/gradedmusicexams/bandexams/

6. Why don't you approach a local FE college that teaches Music Technology either A-Level or the BTEC level 3. They would have facilities for you to record the kids and could use students for work experience.

7. thanks for the ideas...
    Tony