1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding for SA and SA+

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sbirch1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice re SA and SA+ pupils in my class (year 5). I have 3 children in my class with SA+ and 5 more with SA. I have had a TA since the beginning of this academic year but she is leaving for another job in two weeks. I have been told by school management that my TA will not be replaced as they cannot afford it and "none of the children in my class attract funding". Is this true? Surely funding is provided based on numbers of SA and SA+ children? My class is one of 5 parallel Year 5 classes, all of which have a TA - apart from me. What can I do, if anything? Please help as this is causing me a great deal of anxiety. I do not know how I am going to cope without support for my neediest children.
    S

2. Thank you for your response Foxtail. Do I have a right to appeal against this decision if my colleagues in other classes are receiving TA support for children at SA+ and I'm not? What do you think?

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Your school should have policy docs which clearly set out the criteria for SA plus and the mechanisms to support. Why don't you refer to these to argue your case?

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As far as I was aware, schools do not get more money for SA+ children anymore - the funding is given out differently. Schools get the lump sum (don't know how this is worked out) and it is up to the school how this money is used. Even Statemented children don't necessari;y attract funding anymore. In our LA at least they stopped it as schools were only statementing children to get money etc.
    It seems you need to look at your school policies and discuss a way forward. I would also get minute the meeting so that if they refuse to give you support in some form (like sharing a TA) and your childrens progress is not as high as the parallel classes you have some evidence as to why.

5. I agree. I also agree you need to look carefully at the policies and put forward a well reasoned case. If you don't want to put this in writing, or get it minuted, I'd at least make a personal note of it (with the date, exactly what you said and to whom you said it) just in case of any issues in the future.
    Sadly, I think this is going to be the case more often as budgets get ever tighter. However, if they cannot afford to employ more staff, there needs to be consideration of whether existing staff could be reallocated more fairly, spreading their hours across all classes instead of the all or nothing system you seem to have at the moment.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

They must meet the criteria on the graduated response and schools are audited to ensure that their decisions are accurate. Any who don't meet the criteria have to be removed.
    The problem is that the money comes into the school for these pupils,but you can't guarantee that it automatically goes to the pupils. It could be spent on things that benefit these pupils, but are not directly pupil support. It could also be spent in other ways.
    My last school had 40 pupils with statements and a higher number of SA+ and SA. Provision mapping was a nightmare, although it still is in a much smaller school.
    I get more exercised about how to ensure that all SEND pupils make 2 sub levels progress per year - having just done an analysis of the cohort, I fear we're not there yet.
    What we really need are effective interventions and the time to do them.