1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding for PGCE 2011-2012 - residency abroad

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ellispin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I was wondering if any current student teachers could help me. I have used the student finance calculator to try to get an idea of how much funding I would get when I do the SCITT in MFL next year. One of the questions is, "have you lived in the UK for the past 3 years", to which I answered "no", as I spent 3 years living in Spain as a TEFL teacher. The result then said that I may not be eligible for funding. Has anyone had experience of this? Did you get any funding in the end? Thanks for your help!

2. Hi Alice,
    This is an old issue - and one that affected me at the time of applying for the PGCE a few years ago.
    The answer is to make it clear that you are applying on the basis that you wish to be treated as if you had been ordinarily resident in the UK in the 3 years before the course starts on the basis of temporary employment abroad. It's an old concession and has been used successfully many times, including by myself. Keep a copy of one of your TEFL contracts to prove your temporary employment (assumining it was a fixed one-year contract).