1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding for GCSE resits in FE

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ladyscarface, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ladyscarface

ladyscarface New commenter

Hi all,

Just putting this out there as a query to people with presumably far more knowledge than myself!

I teach Functional Skills maths and English for a private training provider. There is talk of delivering GCSEs, which the cynic in me believes may be more to do with the extra funding available more than improving our learners' prospects (by and large, the pass rate in FE is pretty dismal, as seen here: https://www.tes.com/news/further-ed...t-following-rise-college-english-maths-resits.)

Does anybody know exactly how the delivery of GCSE resits affects the condition of funding per learner, i.e. if there are any uplifts? I am also quite concerned about the learning hours required. I teach vocational learners alongside their courses for typically 2-3 hours a week, and I deliver peripatetically at different colleges. Not sure if this would even meet the minimum requirements of 100 hours (or thereabouts) per learner...

Many thanks in advance.

2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Haven't worked in FE for a while but when I last did they were switching from funding per course to funding per student. With regards to English and Maths, students need to be working towards GCSE if they haven't got both with Functional Skills acceptable only as a stepping stone. If not, they don't get any funding. I'm afraid I'm not fully up to date and don't know how this affects private providers.

With regards to hours, I've never taught more than 3 hours a week and only 2 in recent years.