1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding dwindling in school for peri teaching

Discussion in 'Music' started by qu1annie, Apr 30, 2012.

1. I'm impressed that you've had one hour free until now. Am I right in assuming that the money where you are is devolved to schools to buy in tuition? If so firstly find out how much this is, where I am this is under educational partnership money. The area manager of my local music told me how much mine was. I have one rate for group tuition and one rate for individual tuition and we charge £55 per term and run a standing order for parents who can't afford it in one go. I would contact some of the parents whose children have tuition and find out how much they are able to pay. Then do some maths and take it as a proposal to SLT. I negotiate my provision with the head and finance officer in a meeting and when I go with figures it makes it much easier. Will Birmingham support you in other ways? I can get free pyramid days for a days ensemble playing with my feeder primary schools for example as it benefits te music service if these pupils carry on from primary to secondary. As regards private peris, I use a mixture and monitor the quality myself, however this is great when they are reliable, however if you get into problems it can be a nightmare, as you have yo sort it rather than making a phone call. Have you got admin support for this? I couldn't run mine successfully without it. If you want any more details PM me as I don't really want to say more without giving away exactly where I am.

2. Back in 2009 our school used county peris and footed the bill themselves. Due to poor attendance they then brought in a charge of £30 per term, in the hope it would encourage better attendacne.
    Instead we struggled with uptake as many parents simply couldn't afford it. (we're also in a deprived area!). Those that did start often dropped out after xmas as parents couldnt afford to pay that term due to having bought their kids the latest trainers/ mobile phone/ gadgets.
    We lowered the price to £10 per term the following term and things improved with uptake but still had the same problems aftre xmas.
    In the end we agreed with finance that we would slash the hours we buy in but offer all lessons free to students. the ideas behind this was to try to make lessons look more popular to kids by creating waiting lists for certain instruments as there was less time available. It also gave us the leverage to remove kids from timetables if they weren't attending regularly to free up space for others that really wanted to learn.

3. Hi, my school does not support music tutition, unless the student has FSM. The local music service charges £30+ per hour. as a result we went private. It works - most of the time - but i do understand the concerns you have. If they are good the kids will keep coming.