1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding cuts = mixed age classes + planning hell - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AllButterMuffin, Jul 4, 2017.

1. AllButterMuffin

AllButterMuffin New commenter

We are in the unenviable situation of having to mix 5/6. 4/5 and 3/4 next year due to our small class sizes and experienced (expensive) staff. I know I can't be the only one, so can anyone out there help with ideas about how to plan so that all children get full coverage of the curric??
    We used to have a mixed 5/6, mixed 3/4 and mixed 1/2 - so far so easy, two year curriculum, job done - until authority forced us to become single form entry. But we never really had enough pupils to justify this and with class sized ranging from 18 to 26 we can't afford single form, but neither can we go back to what we had before. Sigh.
    The problem in a nutshell: we have oldest year 4s with youngest year 5s next year, but the following year these 'oldest' year fours will be split again to prevent classes of more than 30 (we have ancient Victorian school with a PAN of 25 due to classroom space). Then the following year they will all have to be reunited in year 6. This applies to the threes and twos too, but not the year ones who will always stay together as freaky class size of 27. How can we possibly plan the science curriculum, say, without repeating or omitting content???
    My solution is to resign and go and work in John Lewis, but maybe you have some better ideas...
    Thanks

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

How many children in each year group?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A school I used to work in had a 4 year rolling programme for topics for just that reason. So all of KS2 studied the same topic at the same time, but to a different level.

A different one kept the two year rolling programme for the 3/4 and 5/6 class and the 4/5 class did something completely different.

4. AllButterMuffin

Hmm OK thanks... the first idea could work... Did it work OK at that school?

5. AllButterMuffin

New curric is quite prescriptive... I think we will have to take it with a pinch of salt!

6. alipabs

alipabs New commenter

Carousel teaching? I have used it before in split classes. Quite manic but the idea is that they all get the easier input as refreshing the older ones is probably helpful. You send the younger ones off to do something either with a ta or independently and then you have those for the input. They then go off and theyounger ones return for misconceptions to be ironed out. I haven't explained it brilliantly but it can work.

guna likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yeps...worked very well.
    So some children studied the Stone Age in year 3 and some in year 6.
    LOTS of whole KS work done on chronology and displays in the corridor and so on.
    Geography similar, idea.

Maths/English were merely taught as ability not too much to year group. But as there were only two year groups in each class it worked well to just leave teachers to do whatever the needed.

8. d43587

d43587 New commenter

We have 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 mixed aged classes. We have a 4 year rolling programme that all classes follow at the same time. Works great with shared trips, visitors in school, launch projects and sharing of planning and resources. They topics are mainly Geog/history based. Science we have a
    Two year rolling programme which again works fine.

9. karentee

karentee New commenter

We're Ina a similar situation this coming year with a 2/3 added in the mix. It's been a planning nightmare but we've gone for a 3 year cycle with 4/5 and 5/6 all with the same topic and 1/2 2/3 with the same. It was the only way we could get the history in particular to work.