1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding cut, but told to do the same hours.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by LilHoneybunch, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Would like some advice please. I am working at a primary school as a Learning Support Assistant with a special needs child. I was sent a letter last July from our council saying my hours had been cut. I asked the headteacher for a timetable of my hours as they were now cut and I was told to work my normal hours as the some of the funding had been stopped. The school would make up the rest of my pay out of their own funds. My pay was short in September due to the cut in funding and has been short ever since. Although I have reminded the head and took in the letter about hours being cut, my wage slips showing the change in wages and a timetable of my normal hours I still haven't got anywhere. The last I heard was that the letter, wage slips and timetable got lost, so of course nothing got done. At home we have been in a right pickle over it as we have been trying to get a mortgage and all I had to show was my reduced wages, plus the inconvenience of getting in touch with the council to send me copies of recent wage slips as mine were mislaid at school. This month it will be six months of short wages and my husband is getting quite upset with it. I don't know what to do, I don't want to be a nuisance to the head and keep pestering them, especially as our jobs could be on the line with all these cut backs.

2. It's not being a nuisance! This is a joke. I get 5 hours overtime a week for P.E. and only once have I not been paid for it, the head apologised and the bursar wrote me a cheque the same day.

3. Oh, for heaven's sake! Join a support staff union (Unison or GMB) and get them on the case. Why did you hand over all your evidence without copying any of it. You are very trusting, aren't you? I wouldn't be surprised if you never see it again and your HT denies all knowledge...

4. Yes I was too trusting. I am getting everything copied from now on.

5. Yes I could refuse to work my unpaid hours but last September I was supposed to have been given a timetable of my hours by the Head but I am still waiting for it, so I don't know how many hours I am supposed to be working or how many I am being paid for. Trying to work out my wage slips is impossible.

6. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Ring up HR in your Local authority yourself and ask how many hours you are being paid for. Once you have that knowledge draw up a timetable yourself that fits just those hours. Take it to your head explaining that these are the hours HR say you are currently being paid for so are reducing your timetable to suit until school have organised/ changed the situation. You might find yourself just working those hours but on the other hand if school really NEED you they will find the extra for you.
    It's up to you! Have to say sometimes you do get more 'respect' by being assertive and open despite it feeling uncomfortable to do at first.
    Bluebell

7. If you're working one to one, your SENCO will know exactly how many hours the child has.
    [​IMG] Put your foot down, previous advise seems sensible too!!
    Hope you get sorted [​IMG]