1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding Classroom Projects and Supplies - Great Idea from the USA?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GSPiglets, Aug 1, 2011.

1. A friend introduced me to a website in the US called DonorsChoose (http://www.donorschoose.org/). There is a similar one called ILoveSchools (http://www.iloveschools.com/).
    The idea is simple: Teachers submit their requirement, including costing, and then people who view the website choose which requirement they want to help fund. I was considering setting up a site like this for All schools in the UK, including Pre-schools, to college-prep, public and private, charity, and non-charity. There is also the abliity for companies to match their employees gifts to classroom projects, so it isn't just people giving, but in the US, theirs includes several hundred companies, big and small.
    Is this something that would be of interest to Teachers in the UK? I'm sure many of you spend a fortune buying things for the classroom every year. If you are intersested, and have ideas about how to go about setting something like this up for the UK, then please let me know. I've contacted an organization that creates websites for charities, and am hoping they'll be able to assist as well.
    I'm on the committee for a small pre-school, and we constantly face the issue of donor fatigue, but want to ensure our charity run preschool will be around for many more years! I'm sure this is an issue for many in today's climate!
    Jennifer

2. A friend introduced me to a website in the US called DonorsChoose (http://www.donorschoose.org/). There is a similar one called ILoveSchools (http://www.iloveschools.com/).
    The idea is simple: Teachers submit their requirement, including costing, and then people who view the website choose which requirement they want to help fund. I was considering setting up a site like this for All schools in the UK, including Pre-schools, to college-prep, public and private, charity, and non-charity. There is also the abliity for companies to match their employees gifts to classroom projects, so it isn't just people giving, but in the US, theirs includes several hundred companies, big and small.
    Is this something that would be of interest to Teachers in the UK? I'm sure many of you spend a fortune buying things for the classroom every year. If you are intersested, and have ideas about how to go about setting something like this up for the UK, then please let me know. I've contacted an organization that creates websites for charities, and am hoping they'll be able to assist as well.
    I'm on the committee for a small pre-school, and we constantly face the issue of donor fatigue, but want to ensure our charity run preschool will be around for many more years! I'm sure this is an issue for many in today's climate!
    Jennifer

3. I think this is an excellent idea. Just something as simple as contacting all the LEA's in the country to pass on the word should be enough once the website is up. Afterall, this will help them with budget cuts etc.

You could then give schools a draft letter which they could put out to parents informing them of the process, thus encouraging them (friends and family) to donate.

Furthermore, send a letter out to the top 250 FTSE companies about the whole scheme, and a further letter for schools to send to local businesses.

I really do think this is a great idea, and I would be willing to help. Feel free to get in touch any time you want, and do keep me updated. My email address is;
    Scottjameswilliams1@googlemail.com.

Scott

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed, an excellent idea. If there is anything i can do to help... give me a shout.

5. I am sorry I haven't had a chance to do much more with regard to this project.. Overworked like the rest I suppose! :) Thank you for your input to the idea. If someone has the time/stamina for this project, please feel free to steal the idea and put it into practice! Anything that helps students (and teachers) is not for me to hinder.[​IMG]