1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding Assessment QTS

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by RachelHRostron, Nov 7, 2017.

1. RachelHRostron

RachelHRostron New commenter

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any grants, bursaries or loans available for this course:

Assessment Only route QTS

I have a PGCE which did NOT offer QTS or QTLS as part of it. I am now trying to gain this but cant get to the other routes because of a perpetuating cycle of "if you don't have QT(L)S then you cant volunteer/ teach/ apply" even when its stated I would do this if appointed.

So I was going to go with assessment route which takes 8 weeks, and only requires me to be at the school to teach so I can still work on supply whilst completing this elsewhere and is assessed by the university. They come and observe me twice and I produce a portfolio of schemes of work and lesson plans and then am given QTS. I have found a place that will take me for this as I do not require a "mentor" just a referee that I am doing the work and reflecting on the practice. However, this costs £2,000.

Does anyone know of any grants, loans or funding in general that may be available for me?

Student finance will not be able to assist me as it is not a full year programme,

I am 25 in a low income home and live with my own family (not parental)

Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

3. RachelHRostron

RachelHRostron New commenter

Hi yeah its looking likely I may need a career loan of some description in all reality never mind!

Yes I do meet the criteria which is good but I left my last job over lack of any provision or ability or willingness to allow me to complete my QTLS or QTS so I've been on supply since. Previously I was on supply before taking part in the PGCE and worked in a school for 7 months as part of that course.

Schools direct doesn't seem to be realistic in my area at this time I have applied before for schools direct but could only find things that would require me to move which I cant really afford to do and don't want to do either. The last route I was considering was teach first if this doesn't work out. Thanks for the reply