1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding a PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Joanne2009, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any financial help while doing a PGCE (Sept 12)? I am married with 2 children (3 and 7) and we have a mortgage (wish it was paid off)! Hubby earns approx £23,000.
    I am working part time for the NHS but I know that I would have to leave this to do a PGCE.
    Unless I win the lottery I just cannot see how I can afford to do it.

2. Hi there
    You are in a similar position to me except we have 3 kids. We also have a mortgage and my husband earns the same as yours; he's a self employed carpenter.
    We decided not to apply for a tuition fee loan because we have savings to cover the course fees. I did apply for a maintenance grant and received the full entitlement (£2900ish). That's it. Student Finance did also suggest that we could apply for a childcare grant and Parents Learning allowance, but then promptly said that we earnt too much to qualify for either of them.
    The maintenance grant will pay for my petrol. I did have a very part time school based job that I have obviously had to give up to do the PGCE. Childcare is pretty much covered as my husband will take the kids to school and my lovely mum has agreed to have them after school.
    I think there are rumours that the government may resume some sort of bursary for 2012 - think there is another thread on here about it. Otherwise you could try Student Finance to see if there is anything else.