1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fundal Height

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by elt92, Jan 27, 2011.

1. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Just looking for some advice. Had FH measured today and it only came out at 27cm (32 weeks preg today) - was 26 about 3 weeks ago. Am going for a scan next wed, but just worried that there is something wrong.
    Tried to ask for an earlier scan but they say that there is no need.
    Am just really worried that there is a problem and a week is a long time to wait.
    Heartbeat was heard ok and can still feel baby moving.
    Has anyone else been measuring small? x

2. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Just looking for some advice. Had FH measured today and it only came out at 27cm (32 weeks preg today) - was 26 about 3 weeks ago. Am going for a scan next wed, but just worried that there is something wrong.
    Tried to ask for an earlier scan but they say that there is no need.
    Am just really worried that there is a problem and a week is a long time to wait.
    Heartbeat was heard ok and can still feel baby moving.
    Has anyone else been measuring small? x

3. this way of measuring babies is hugely inaccurate so please don't worry about it. i was apparently measuring normal the whole time - even at 40 weeks - then at 40+4 i popped out an 11lb baby. that's normal is it!?!
    it depends how the baby is lying, whether the back is towards your spine or towards your belly button, whether the head is free or whether it's dropped behind your pubic bone, whether the legs are tucked into the chest or the thighs are at right angles to the spine.... logically, is it realistic for a woman who is 5' tall and a size 8 to have the same fundal height as a lady who is 5'11'' tall and a size 20? i don't think so, yet according to their measurements this is what we are to believe is possible.
    it's hard not to worry, but if the midwife were really concerned you'd have been sent to the hospital the same day as i was when there was a concern with my LO. so long as you're feeling kicks and movement, and the heart beat is fine then they're the most important things. try doing a seach on fundal height threads with people measuring big/small on baby centre - there are hundreds of them!
    take care x

4. I always measured slightly less. Day before I gave birth midwife predicted a 6lb baby, he was 8lb! As spider said above its dependent on so many things, I shouldn't worry!

5. I'm not that far along so can't really help you much. But for reassurance, at the bottom of this page 1 there is a similar thread called 'midwife estimates v's birth weight'
    which may be useful and interesting for you. Basically, the accuracy of height/weight is so difficult to get right. Easier said than done I know, but try not to worry too much.
    My 32 week pregnant friend's baby stopped moving for 2 days when it was such a daily active one, she got checked out, heartbeat WAS there but was really low. She and baby are now perfectly fine, and just goes to show that these things just happen. If you can hear heartbeat and baby is moving, then that's very reassuring.

6. I was going to suggest the thread that I started mentioned in the last post. Also, if they were worried there was a problem you wouldn't be waiting a week for a scan.

7. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Thanks everyone, calmed down a bit now. I think being shattered and stressed with work doesnt help.
    She is still moving about and heartbeat was there so thats a good sign.
    I just wish they would explain things to you instead of leaving you to worry - Was the 4th different Midwife ive seen and her people skills werent great!!
    Thanks again :) x

8. My midwife has just been made to start doing it. She said it is only 18% accurate....so I wouldn't worry, I measured 3 cm under at last appointment and 1 cm over at most recent.
    x