1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jimi1542, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I work with disaffected young people and they currently gain accreditation using ALAN. This will no longer be an option soon as (as far as I am aware) the only level 1 and 2 on demand qualification available will be functional skills. I have tried to engage my students with FS in the past with no success as they find the content too confusing. Is anyone aware of any other accreditation I could use to evidence the progress of my students?

2. I work with disaffected young people and they currently gain accreditation using ALAN. This will no longer be an option soon as (as far as I am aware) the only level 1 and 2 on demand qualification available will be functional skills. I have tried to engage my students with FS in the past with no success as they find the content too confusing. Is anyone aware of any other accreditation I could use to evidence the progress of my students?

3. Edexcel have recently brought out a new qualification called proficiency in number and measures which appears to be fair more user friendly than FS. It is available at level 1 and2. The only drawback is that it is not on demand and there is currently only one session available in June but might be worth a look.

4. OCR are advertising for senior examiners in proficiency in maths at entry levels 1, 2 and 3 then level 1 level 2. It looks promising.

5. City & Guilds have level 1 and 2 qualifications. They can be taken at any time, the usual notice for exam entry being roughly 3 weeks.

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

City and Guilds are also just introducing some new English and maths qualifications which sound as though they are pitched a little lower than FS although i suppose they will be of dubious use. I know what you mean as I teach similar groups moving from key skills to FS this coming year and am not looking forward to it.