1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jiwells, May 31, 2011.

1. I shall take your points one after the other McClusky. And just so you know who is answering, my name is Jonathan Wells, I run Guroo Functional Skills producing resources and I write the Functional Skills newsletter which is sent every two weeks to more than 6000 people in the education sector.

A level 2 pass in each subject is worth half a GCSE at A*-C - 23 points. A level 1 pass is worth 12 points.
    They are also worth UCAS points )equivalent to half a GCSE) but only this year as from next year, all Level 2 qualifications (including GCSE) will lose UCAS points.
    Government is being guided by Wolf review as they have accepted all recommendations. Wolf is very focussed on English and maths - GCSE for those that can pass, a rigorous and worthwhile qualification in English and maths for those that can't - almost certain to be Functional Skills as other qualifications (Key Skills, ALAN) have been decimated by Wolf who called them worthless and specifically referenced them in the review saying they should be NOT be considered.
    Government has confirmed that Key Skills will be replaced by Functional Skills at the latest in September 2012 for Apprenticeships - but plenty of rumours it will be this September because of Wolf comments. Functional Skills already part of Foundation Learning and Diplomas.
    QCDA evaluation was very positive with lots of evidence that year 9 teaching led to better GCSE results as pupils had the basics right.
    Employers like Functional Skills because they are rigorous and harder to pass, Colleges don't because they are rigorous and harder to pass.
    And finally, they are a lifetime qualification with no no time limit on value.
    Please do feel free to contact me at Guroo if you would like to know anything else. Jonathan

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It IS a qualification that 'proves' a student can function. It does what it says on the tin. Available in English, Maths and ICT. I currently teach it to EBD pupils and it seems to be the perfect fit for them.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

And dare I say it, that is where my quandry and issue lie - Inventing qualifications that 'fit the student' rather than asking the student to reach for the qualification completely deminishes the concept of a 'qualification' in anything.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Thoroughly depressing attitude.

Not every child has a fantastic childhood and a wonderful family background. Functional skills can reach these pupils and give them a worthwhile qualification that shows employers they can apply themselves competently to everyday problems involving numeracy, literacy and ICT

Lots of things have diminished the 'concept of a qualification' and education over the last 15 years, functional skills isn't one of them

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Even more startlingly depressing attitude to label and think that those children cannot achieve highly!!