1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills: Which provider gives the best student results?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by dancetiludrop, Mar 31, 2011.

1. How long is a piece of string? Most places will have piloted with only one provider (we tried two) and it was like comparing apples and oranges.
    Now the whole college is with one provider and although I am pleased with results generally there are pockets of disappointing results - particularly with the English writing exam which has as much to do with the understanding of the qualification by the teaching staff as with the assessment process.

2. Can I ask which boards you trialled?
    Are the disappointing results mainly to do with the low level of the students to start with or students you would have anticipated being L2 and not achieving this?

3. Thank you :)

Does anyone use OCR?

4. Sadly for us, paper on demand tests would be better.... we do not have internet access for students...

5. This is how the Entry Level qualifications work but I notice that what this means is everyone demands them in the same week and the cost of producing the papers is passed from the awarding body to the college[​IMG]

6. Plus it nearly drives our brilliant Exams Officer mad - especially before we got the "workbook" style Entry Level papers and she had to cut out the paper resources as well!

7. We are with an awarding body that allows you to use a results+ facility so that you can see exactly which questions the student succeeds and fails on which has been invaluable - being able to say to a learner - and their tutor - "Your planning and sequencing are weak" in the writing exam or "You are really good at posters but pants at spreadsheets" is great (My words obviously and not what I would say to a student [​IMG]).
    I also like the shape of the ICT exam with the learner producing documents which are then assessed is much better than them answering questions which is what we saw with some awarding bodies during the pilot.
    We are being very rigorous with Initial Assessment and target levels which I think is helping us get the positive results we have had so far - where our advice has been ignored by colleagues and students have been entered at a level that is not appropriate (but based on what they think a student on a Level 2 or 3 programme should be doing) the results are less successful.

8. I completely forgot the Results Plus thing - tried it ages ago and it wouldn't work (website must have been down) and then left it and forgot it. Have now been on and it is most helpful. Thank you for reminding me!

9. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

If your with City and Guilds an active internet connection isnt required due to the way the software works. The paper can be downloaded and stored on a standalone system, i.e. a laptop and taken to the candidates location.

10. Robfreeman

Just to add those of you who use C&G the online system is changing soon.

11. How so?

12. Robfreeman

The GOLA system is ending and a new online system called EVOLVE is being put in. The idea im led to believe is to sort out the flaws in the GOLA system, i.e. the type of questions the system is designed to deal with and methods of answering.
    From what i have heard and read it should be a much better system.

13. ^^^^ Thought that I would just up this thread - again - to see if anyone has any updates/advice; am still in a quandary about it all!

14. Apparently Edexcel and AQA are by far the most popular providers. Edexcel (or Pearson) have now merged with EDI (a much small affair) so are obviously looking to expand. Makes you wonder with someone pontificating yesterday about how monopolies in the Exam Provider area would NOT be a good thing, then the Office of whoever deals with it now approved this merger. Hmmmm.