1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills Maths interview

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by enviehairandbeauty, Oct 19, 2017.

1. enviehairandbeauty

enviehairandbeauty New commenter

Hi I have an interview next week and I just need bit of support or help or advice. I am used to 15-20 mins micro teach but now I have to do a 10 minutes presentation to the panel.
    Presentation Title: Outline of a Maths Lesson

Please deliver a 10 minute presentation outlining a Maths lesson that you would deliver (GCSE or Functional Skills) including evidence of planning.)

Any help or advice will be Most welcomed

Thanks

2. waterlillies

waterlillies New commenter

Hi,

First I think you should choose a topic (grade C would be ideal as lots of gcse /fs students are grade E/D or even below.

Then plan it as a normal lesson in a lesson template (bring it with you on the day).

Have 1) clear objectives (differentiated objectives all-most-some)
    2) starter-
    3) main -explanation 1/2/3 with task 1/2/3
    4) plenary

Make sure you think about assessment (mini whiteboards, true/false, multiple choice) and differentiation (extention tasks)

Now in 10 mins you would not expect the panel to actually do any tasks (but have them all ready) and basically you just explain the objectives then show the starter and pay more focus on the exposition of the concept (ie.main task 1/2/3). Finally show them your plenary!

Make sure you have self/peer assessment too.

The more teaching strategies you show the better you showcase your experience.

Good luck OP! If you want any of my lesson plans message me :)