1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional skills mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dagani32, Jan 4, 2011.

1. dagani32

dagani32 New commenter

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum, teaching and Functional skills. My college is going with OCR FS maths. I haven't been to any training yet (hope to do one soon). I teach FS maths to students who are on different vocational courses such as barbering, broadcasting, graphic design, etc. I've been told to teach them maths (L1&L2) through a project in relation to their vocational subject. Can someone advise me on how the Scheme of Work should look like for this type of delivery and any resources. I know about www.skillsworkshop.org.uk - it's brilliant.
    Help

2. dagani32

dagani32 New commenter

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum, teaching and Functional skills. My college is going with OCR FS maths. I haven't been to any training yet (hope to do one soon). I teach FS maths to students who are on different vocational courses such as barbering, broadcasting, graphic design, etc. I've been told to teach them maths (L1&L2) through a project in relation to their vocational subject. Can someone advise me on how the Scheme of Work should look like for this type of delivery and any resources. I know about www.skillsworkshop.org.uk - it's brilliant.
    Help

3. dagani32

dagani32 New commenter

Yes, I have. Thanks

4. dagani32

dagani32 New commenter

thank you gdunne42. I find a bit difficult to navigate on this website, but it's really good when you finally find what are you looking for.
    I've just finished writing SoW for my maths group of catering students. Wow, that was fun. Now 2 more to go business and broadcasting, can't wait[​IMG]

5. Hi dagani32
    Welcome to the forum.
    Functional maths is supposed to be relevant to the students, but what is 'relevant'?
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/community/thread/56000 ?!?!?!?!
    The one thing I would recommend is that you build in as much flexability for the students to steer the direction of the project (both as a group and personally) as you can allow given the paramaters you have and the practicalities you will face in supervising their work.
    Try to use that flexibilty to create some space in which they can think about things for themselves.
    Easier said than done - I know [​IMG]
    Good luck with it all [​IMG]