1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills/ ICT - Teacher or Trainer?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by johnwyardley, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Hi Everyone,

As the title states are Functional Skills Teachers categorised as teachers or trainers.

I have PGCE and taught ICT for 10 years in F.E Sixth Form and Prison Education up to 2015 after completing MSc I.T.

My I.T software skills are outdated. For example, in 2015 2 of the 3 classrooms I taught in used Windows XP.

My teaching skills are rusty.

I was thinking that Functional ICT Skills teacher/ trainer might be a progressive step back into the profession.

I see that jobs advertised vary from £16-18 per hour, which I assume is the trainer rate, to £26-28 per hour, which I assume is the teacher rate. If there is a disparity between rates is there a difference in expectations in terms of job roles - what are the differences in job roles between and trainer and teacher.

I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on this subject!

Best wishes and happy summer breaks,

John

2. bdavies1

bdavies1 New commenter

Interesting question! I'm about to start on the teacher rate. I will be teaching in an adult ed setting in a 6th form college. I am a qualified teacher anyway so my rate was set according to where I was on the scale (M6). Maybe it depends on the setting and also if you are a qualified teacher? I imagine we are all teaching the same things.
    As I have not taught ICT Functional skills before I am hoping to find somewhere online where people share resources. There doesn't seem to be much out there. Any ideas? I'm teaching Level 1 this term. The NCFE have only just started this course and the college have told me they won't order the support pack with resources until the course is definitely a goer (I will know 1 week before the course is due to start). Any help appreciated.