1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Functional Skills Delivery Alternatives within FE

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by dandaman, Mar 29, 2017.

1. dandaman

dandaman New commenter

Hello....

I am a teacher within a special needs department... and we are facing a really difficult challenge in terms of functional skills success rates.

Learners come to us between the ages of 16-19 and often come with higher qualifications than their actual level... thus we are faced with an almost impossible task at times.

My main question being.. is there an alternative to delivering F/S which is still funded...

Does anyone else have this difficulty/situation and if so how are you dealing with it.

Thanks
    Dan

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Snap!! I have students in my class who are illiterate, yet have gained Entry Level 2 certificates!! :(
    So, I started again - I reassessed and baselined all of my students. Those who needed help in numeracy and literacy I placed onto the new Gateway Qualifications. Those who were able to cope more with the written work were placed on Work Skills certification at Entry Levels 1 - 3 and Level 1 - 2. This meant an awful lot of hard work as nearly every student was on a different pathway and my school got their pound of flesh from me and more...