1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun With Languages website

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by specialsupply, Oct 14, 2016.

1. specialsupply

specialsupply New commenter

What has happened to suttonhighmfl aka funwithlanguages.vacau.com? I can no longer access this excellent site and miss it :-(

2. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

The link you provided http://funwithlanguages.vacau.com just worked fine for me. Maybe it was only down for a little while which happened to coincide with when you were looking for it?

3. specialsupply

specialsupply New commenter

Thanks bonxie - phew!

4. Elly40

Elly40 New commenter

5. alison_ashburner

alison_ashburner New commenter

I can't get it to work now any more either...it looks like it's lost its domain name or something? Any ideas? I really liked this site and hope they haven't lost all their resources?...

6. parkert

parkert New commenter

I read once that he said he's allowed so many free users per day as he has a free allowance per number of users. After that he has to pay so it depends when you log on.

7. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Sorry all. The free host has decided to make me and other free users create new accounts and upload all of the resources again. I hope to get around to doing this at half term. They really are determined to make me upgrade and pay for their services. I don't even know if they will allow me as much space or limit the types of files I can upload to the new account. Perhaps I shall have to withdraw my recommendation for this website host?

Watch this space or message me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. BrightonEarly

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

We have used your fantastic resources for a while, and recommend them to our exam classes as part of their revision, but in school we can no longer access the files which use Flash, as the programme is not being supported by most browsers any more (I think that's what my techie colleagues said, anyway!). Will it be possible to access them using a different media player in future, as eventually none of us will be able to use them? I can use them at home with Firefox, but Chrome in school won't work with them, and IE still does but only for a while longer, so I'm told.

10. BrightonEarly

@Cestrian - Flash is required to play any of the activities that I made using my subscription to Activiscope. I don't hold out much hope that an alternative will be found as Activiscope are not taking any new subscribers. Perhaps browsers will offer a choice to open files, this happens at the moment if you try to open a file that needs java, but don't have an updated version of java installed.

Can't you ask your techie to install Firefox? If you subscribe to ActiveLearn, you will find that Explorer can't always open the files - pupil tasks and also front of class listening activities, for example.

Although I have built the website myself, I haven't authored the software to create the games, so I will have to wait and see what activity authoring packages are developed that let me download, save and make resources available to others without infringing copyright.

11. BrightonEarly

I have finished uploading the website framework and 6 hours later am just about two thirds of the way through uploading the French activities! Bulk uploading doesn't work as it randomly ignores about 85% of the files and then I have to compare uploaded with files from the master.

French accents don't seem to be uploading properly on the new account. Also TaskMagic files will upload, but don't seem to work. I'll have to look into that one.

On the plus side, the hot potatoes and speedword type activities now all work!

12. BrightonEarly

Spanish, German and Russian activities now also live again. Please let me know if you find broken links as the uploading system is a little glitchy if you try to upload more than 20 files at a time. This has been a laborious process, but I can now upload a wider range of file extensions, so that's a plus. I don't know why the TaskMagic files have stopped working - @mlapworth - do you have any ideas? There are two TaskMagic gameboard links on this page (see yellow smiley faces):
    http://funwithlanguages.vacau.com/spanishKS3.htm

13. taradh

taradh New commenter

Thank you so much x 1 million. You know what a big fan I am!!

BrightonEarly likes this.
  14. BrightonEarly

15. Goldylocks

Goldylocks New commenter

So pleased to see this - we were gutted at school THANK YOU!

BrightonEarly likes this.
  16. newkidsontheblock

newkidsontheblock New commenter

http://funwithlanguages.vacau.com/ still working