1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun ways to teach ionic bonding?

Discussion in 'Science' started by miniie100, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Can anyone help me with fun ways to teach ionic bonding to KS4? I'm really struggling to make this topic engaging and would appreciate any advice going!
    Many thanks x

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry, can't think of any!

3. Ummmm...................in a word..............no!

If you do, let me know. I have battled through structures and bonding with a disaffected lower ability Year 11 and it bores them to tears.

4. Not sure about engaging - but in a moment of desperation I resorted to pretty colours and glue!
    I gave the pupils coloured sheets of paper and hole-punches. They then had to stick the little coloured dots they produced onto plain A4 as the electrons in the atoms (all electrons in an atom had to be the same colour), then they produced ions in the same way - and buddied up to produce compounds. It showed them that the electrons were donated and they got to make something pretty!
    For my higher ability they also had to use different coloured dots in the nucleus for protons and neutrons (with a disclaimer about different sizes of particles).
    Really simple - but somehow effective! They didn't whinge half as much as when they had to draw them out (dot and cross)!
    Sty

5. I model it using sweets. They pay plenty of attention if they get to share out the sweets later.

6. I use huge pieces of coloured sugar paper and get then to cut out loads of circles the size of a toilet roll tube half with a + (positive) on and half with a - (minus ) then they draw shells on to the paper so it looks like a dart board. At his point you get comments like, Miss is there any point to this? and you can reply, would I ask you to do anything that doesn't have a point? I will give them an atomic number and get them to arrange the correct number of protons and electrons on the paper in the correct place then get them to predict what type of ion the element will from. Then 2 groups can join together and one can do a group 1 element and the other a group 7 and they can predict and draw out the electronic configurations. This really helped those who couldn't visualise the protons in the nucleus and could only see the electrons in the shells.
    You could have ready prepared resources but my year 10 enjoyed (I think this is the word) putting it together themselves!

7. The names Bond, Ionic Bond.
    Taken, not shared...

Sorry I couldn't resist [​IMG]

8. I saw a class where the teacher used balloons. Got 2 or 3 kids up to the front and told them what element they were, and the kid had to figure out the number of electrons. Then got another kid, did the same. With the ionic the teacher told kid a) to remove a balloon and give it to kid b. With covalent bonding, they just stood really close to each other.
    It was to a low ability group, but it appeared to work quite well.

9. microarray, that's brilliant. I'm definitely using that one.

10. Check check check!!! I am in exactly the same situation. I am rapidly losing them completely - and I can kind of see their point - any bright ideas gratefully received...

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The Noble gases are the football stars of the periodic table - all the other atoms want to look like them so gain or lose electrons to get the same number.
    However, in the same way that if I wear a Stanley Matthews shirt, I don't play as well as him, a sodium nucleus with the same number of electrons as neon doesn't react like it.
    P

12. Sweets tend to work nicely... and if you can label each pupils with a positive and negative sign or ion as they come, then you can put the combinations on the board and they have 20 seconds to make the combinations.
    x

13. We have 2 t-shirts made up with 8 pieces of velcro and up to 8 yellow / blue balls with velcro on for pupils to transfer.

14. I gave each table some post-it notes (1 per pupil) and a pen to draw a large '+' on half and '-' on the other half. I then told them opposites attract and like charges repel on ions. They had to come up with a pattern to maximise attraction and minimise repulsion. They all came up with the alternating pattern. They then had to build a bigger version of it on the board. And lo and behold! They worked out what an ionic crystal lattice looked like. You could do a 3D version if you had enough balls. Or.......balloons...mmmmmm.

15. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I use pipe cleaners for the pupils to build the shells out of. I have fluffy balls (two colours) that they use to represent the protons and neutrons. For the electrons I have small yellow fluffy chicks (it was Easter the first year I did this!). All obtained from Poundland for not very much!
    I've also got pupils to be the atom. Give them electrons to "wear" and then they either transfer them between them or hold hands to share them, depending on type of bonding. I like the balloons and sweets ideas though - might be pulling some of that in for OFsted next week.

16. I've done this one a few times, works on some classes. Assumes you've done groups 1, 7 and 0.
    Demo potassium in water. Show some video of chlorine reacting. Get them really excited about how dangerous potassium chloride must be. (Get techs to put some in a dangerous looking bottle.) Suggest putting KCl in water. Then do it (with appropriate theatrics) and get them to explain why nothing happened. Take suggestions. Then give pairs/ threes A3 paper for drawing ideas. Give hints like "the noble gases are unreactive", "the noble gases have 8 electrons in their outer shell" and they'll work it out after about 10 minutes. I start the stuck ones off by getting them to draw K and Cl atoms and then Ar and I add an extra hint on the PPt every couple of minutes.

moranderv likes this.