1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun way to teach grid method for inspection

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MillyStar, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

Hi everyone
    We have ofsted tomorrow and I am planning on teaching my year 4's the grid method, I was going to use rope etc and get them to lay out a grid practically then answer some questions but worried this just sounds rubbish now. How can I make it exciting??!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ofsted will be looking more for an effective way than for a fun way.

Introduce it and ensure they all get the hang of it, then summarise. Perfect lesson as all will have made progress.

3. I would use the rope. Give the children cards with numbers on ie, 34 x 5 give a child a 30 one a 4 and one a 5 and get them to stand in the right places. Ask children to give you answers to each section on whiteboards then choose one to go and stand in each grid.

Then do some examples on the boards and whiteboards.
    When the children are doing their own work make sure you have some grids drawn out for your low ability children. Mine always spend ages making the grids. Primary resources have some sheets to print out with questions and grids. Maybe if you have some really poor children they can be practise their times tables and multiplying by 10?

Good Luck!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Me as well. Teach them one simple method that works every time would be sooo much better. Grid would be my method of choice as it encourages understanding of number magnitude and for the reasons I gave above. But teaching children who struggle with maths 56 different ways is not helpful at all.

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Oh I agree - I prefer traditional short and long multiplication. If the pupil does not get that then yes use the grid. But once you start introducing Chinese etc the pupil switches off and is confused for life. Chinese confuses me - I can never get the grid right on the whiteboard!

6. Why does having fun and being effective have to be mutually exclusive? We have fun often in my classroom and it is very effective! I would not do something fun in isolation but backed up by examples on whiteboards etc! I allow my more able children to choose a method and my average and low ability children I teach them the grid method.

If your school has a calculation policy you should stuck to that! The grid method is a stepping stone to long multiplication it illustrates the process.

Too much chalk and talk and Ofsted will also say that it was too much led by the teacher and not enough participation or memorable concrete experiences!

Have fun!!