1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun times tables games KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ktteaching, Oct 23, 2008.

1. <table class=" style="TABLE-LAYOUT:fixed;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class=">

Im really struggling with my maths group. I'm an NQT and have a lovely class but we are streamed for maths and my chn come from Years 5 and 6 and are working on Year 4 objs. The things is they are lazy, get bored easily and think they know everything when in fact their knowledge of times tables is ridiculous (I constantly ask easy questions such as 2 x 8 and get '15')

Can anyone give me some fun ways to learn the times tables or answer times tables questions. When i was at school I remember chanting them and me and my TA are seriously thinking this is the only way they will ever get to learn their tables.

At the moment we have bingo, gladiators (two chn at front, answers on baord and they have to find the answer to a table and point first), fizzbuzz where the chn stand in a circle and count upwards, every time they get to a multiple of a certain number they say fizzbuzz instead of that number.

I need something that invovled the whole class though as the others then get roudy as they are also a very badly behaved class. Can anyone share any games please please please?!
    </td></tr></table>

2. <table class=" style="TABLE-LAYOUT:fixed;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class=">

Im really struggling with my maths group. I'm an NQT and have a lovely class but we are streamed for maths and my chn come from Years 5 and 6 and are working on Year 4 objs. The things is they are lazy, get bored easily and think they know everything when in fact their knowledge of times tables is ridiculous (I constantly ask easy questions such as 2 x 8 and get '15')

Can anyone give me some fun ways to learn the times tables or answer times tables questions. When i was at school I remember chanting them and me and my TA are seriously thinking this is the only way they will ever get to learn their tables.

At the moment we have bingo, gladiators (two chn at front, answers on baord and they have to find the answer to a table and point first), fizzbuzz where the chn stand in a circle and count upwards, every time they get to a multiple of a certain number they say fizzbuzz instead of that number.

I need something that invovled the whole class though as the others then get roudy as they are also a very badly behaved class. Can anyone share any games please please please?!
    </td></tr></table>

3. Corners.

You have an imaginary square with one child standing in each of its corners.

You ask a question, the first one to answer it knocks out the person to their right and moves into their space.

Keep going until only one child is standing.

Play four rounds and have the winners of each round play in the final to find the overall champion.

4. Don't know if this is any help - but I have just oredered Number Fun - www.numberfun.co.uk - CD with songs etc for various mental starters including times tables.

really looking forward to using it next half term

5. Have you got a piece of software called Teaching Tables? There are some great games; some are against the clock and others are not; you can select specific tables or have a mixture of tables on any game. My weak Year 6's have enjoyed this in the past trying to beat their personal bests.
    I also have some Board games which i think came from BEAM: titles include Germs; times table Square etc these were very popular specially with the boys who enjoyed playing in pairs against each other.

6. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

muktiplication.com

7. Try this link there are lots of other things which may be of interest but Brendan kindly hosted this resource which is too big for the resources bank. It really works and the children love it!

Basically there is a differentiated 2 minute test of given tables. The question they consistently struggle with becomes the one they begin to write down first so it is no longer an issue. They love to move their names up the ladder as they achieve competence at each table. I've seen it work in all year groups with all levels. You have to keep going with it, but I find the children remind you because they want to do well.

All the resources including the display are included. Try it for a term and see how you get on!

http://store.brendenisteaching.com/down.php?f=Times%20Table%20Challenge.zip

8. jcw

jcw

I bought a book last year 'Times Table Challenge' to do with my Year 4 class. It's 50 questions which the children have to try and complete in 3 minutes. The levels start on A (2 times table) and go up in order - the hardest levels being something like 6 x 8 x 9. I started doing it once a week but the children absolutely loved doing it we ended up doing it every other day! :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Table-Challenge-Lisa-Tilvel/dp/1583240195/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224795832&sr=8-2

9. Give them an empty grid and an L-shape and show them how to build up their own times table square. Give them lots of practise up to 5x5 first so they learn to recognise small arrays at a glance. This helps to show how multiplication is related to area.

http://tre.ngfl.gov.uk/server.php?request=cmVzb3VyY2UuZnVsbHZpZXc%3D&resourceId=13637

10. Gut

Gut

Theteacher I observed had her class loving doing their times table. She didn't make them chant it out as we used to because that meant that when they wanted to answe 4x8 they had to do the chant from the start to get to 8! She has a long stick with 9 bits of tape along it. One end of the stick is zero, the other end is 10 x whatever. The tape for 5xwhatever is a different colour and is half way along the stick. She then moved her finger up and down the stick and the children all chanted the answer to where her finger stopped.

They then had a Tables Game where everyone stood up and the teacher asked a time table question. The person who got it correct got to stand on their chair. This carried on until a set number were on their chairs, the rest were "out". The ones on chairs then got more questions, with the ones answering correct standing on the table and a set number going "out". More questions were put to them and the two getting them correct got to go back down to the chair with everyone else out. The final two then had a tiebreaker and the winner got a star.

Since this class had Year 4, 5 and 6 kids it was done as three seperate competitions with a winner from each year. If you have only one year in your class then you could either play one big game or, if you have split your class into ability groups, a contest for each class.

11. If you have access to the internet ....

google "multiflyer"

You can choose which tables to practice.... or select them all. It gives you a percentage breakdown of the ones they get wrong so you can focus on them.

regards

12. My class absolutely adore this TES resource - they drive me mad if they can't do it everyday. When they make it to European they get a small chocolate bar - when they pass Olympic they get a bigger one. I love this because they all make progress and it tests the corresponding division facts which so often get overlooked .. try it.

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=3009054

13. My year sixes love this site

www.tutpup.com

they all went home and played on it!

14. Hi i had low ability Y3/4 last year and they loved this website

http://www.7oaks.org/riverbend/tableweb/times_table_songs.htm

It s all the time table songs and I knew it was working when I saw my least able teaching a mixture of more able Y5/ 6 the 7 times table song (and testing their facts) during breaktime on the playground stage!

Hope you enjoy it too!