1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun Things

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by the hippo, Jul 22, 2020.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Am I the only person who thinks that this TES Retirement Forum is getting pretty dull, with endless posts about the TPS and all the financial aspects of retirement? What about the FUN things that you are doing, now that you have retired?

seasoned and Lidnod like this.
  2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I had a visit from a cousin who got in touch with me after many many years. We went down to the Green with a blanket, flask and cake and had a picnic. Caught up on lots of things. Most of the time, for me, it is the simplest things that give the most pleasure.

This is a picture taken in Spring. The trees are now in full leaf and most resplendent!

Bournville Green.jpg

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Went out for a walk with a small group (6) from my usual Wednesday walking group. Nice to see someone new for a change. One friend has grown out her hair colour and looks great with beautiful grey hair. Had a cuppa in her garden at the end. That was fun - in a quiet way.

4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

made lemon pesto this morning with basil from the polytunnel. Just had some on pitta bread for lunch along with lettuce, tomato and cucumber from the tunnel as well. My wife is out and I am sure she will say I went too heavy with the garlic, but I love it!

5. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Sorry but puzzle solving is my 'fun'.
    Golf would be my other fun aspect...but after today where I lost 7 balls and shot 21 over my handicap I may have to re-evaluate that game's contribution to my 'fun' scale.

6. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

My main 'fun things' are travel and playing golf. Restarted the golf after the lockdown its OK but not as fun as it was. As for travel as we all know not much doing waiting on 2 refunds from airlines. I have booked a stay in Scotland later in the year so looking forward to that.I did take a look at the personal section on TES thought that would be fun I did comment on most talented rock bands, and greatest guitarist only yesterday. I looked at other topics on personal but just looks like a lot of government bashing ,Boris is rubbish etc or of course Brexit. Just not for me all of that, quite negative and stressful in some respects some clearly love it horse's for course's. I very happy in the backwaters of the Retirement section, I always find it informative, helpful and vast majority respectful.

Lidnod and littlejackhorner like this.
  7. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

I think you're right, but a lot of that is down to overly zealous Corbyn lefty moderators looking for any excuse to ban anyone with a hint of 'not left' in them.

Kateray1 and wayside34 like this.
  8. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

@the hippo you are probably right about the change in posts recently but that is probably down to our retirement plans being curtailed recently.
    I had hoped to post about my long awaited cruise but sadly it was cancelled. Things are starting to open up again now so maybe we will see more variety in this forum. However, do remember that this is generally an older person's thread so many postets may well still be shielding or worried about risks to their health.

wayside34 likes this.
  9. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I think you have summed it up well. Our fun is much quieter at the moment isn't it?

Lidnod likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@the hippo I've often commented in the past on here that retirement is not all about the money, but with the current pension complications I'm not surprised that lots of people need to ask questions.

Prim and Lidnod like this.
  11. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

And where would many be without diddy? Well done that man.

HannahD16, littlevanner, Prim and 8 others like this.
  12. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Being retired is great, and I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful area. No big adventures, maybe, but quiet pleasures and treasured companionship. Video calls have been a boon, a technology I much appreciate along with the joys of the internet including, of course, TES, to keep me occupied.

seasoned and littlejackhorner like this.
  13. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Blush

Lidnod and Sundaytrekker like this.
  14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agreed. Diddydave has done sterling work here. It’s really important that people understand the pension scheme properly and being able to ask and discuss it here is very useful.

Fun things? Well, this week I’ve been out shopping and it began to feel nearly normal. A cup of coffee that I hadn’t made myself, in a cafe, was a simple treat. I also attending an end of term socially distanced gathering of staff. Good to see people when things have been so difficult and different from normal. We’re planning a few days away soon but it won’t be anywhere distant or needing an aeroplane to get there.

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I’ve thought of a couple of other things too. I saw my son and family 2 weeks ago and my daughter and family last weekend. This is the first time since January. We also doggysat for my daughter for a week.
    We have also booked a cottage in the lakes for a week in August, with my brother, daughter and her family. Looking forward to blowing away some Covid cobwebs

16. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm enjoying the return to some sort of normality. We went fruit picking at the weekend- not loads but enough for some lovely puddings. The farm was doing take away coffees and cakes so we sat on the grass for that. I've been to a few coffee shops with friends- one at a time. It's interesting to see different people's views on what they're comfortable with- inside or outside. I'm reading lots too.

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

One of the joys of being retired is a naughty little Jack Russell.
    tina small.jpg

18. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Quiet pleasures:

a saunter - okay a stroll - okay a shamble to a churchyard for fresh air and birdsong

discovering Mike Herron's Jackson Lamb books

cooking a beef wellington with my son

visiting my first grandchild.

littlejackhorner and Lidnod like this.
  19. Mollywest76

Mollywest76 New commenter

20. Mollywest76

Mollywest76 New commenter

Well I’m recently retired and loving every minute. Best thing that’s ever happened to me and I actually feel like I’ve got my life back, despite lots of health issues.
    Off to Cornwall for my hols tomorrow. Was originally Maldives, but hey-ho, do love Cornwall! Cream teas and Cornish nasties. Yum! Enjoy your hols fellow retirees!

littlejackhorner likes this.