1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun things to do in the evening

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 7, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Could be a thinberg.

2. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Sooooo.... What's everyone else doing this evening?Not much on telly and I may be resorting to watching Lost.Anyone remember that?

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Don't get Lan started...

Lara mfl 05 and racroesus like this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Have you checked the main drain via whatever access to that you might have in your garden?
    I suggest it because we had a similar problem in our downstairs loo last year. In the back garden there is a manhole cover to the drain that runs along the back of about 5 or 6 houses in the row, and joins the main sewer after the next door house. When we lifted it, it became clear it was a problem with that drain and not our toilet. None of the other houses in the row had this problem because they don't have downstairs toilets.
    We called the water board, they came out with some pressure hoses, stuck it down our manhole and whoosh, cleared whatever was blocking the drain (we suspect next door had been flushing baby wipes) and everything's been fine since.
    They come out for free (or they did for us) so if you've got the means to have a look at what's going on in the main drains, try that too. It might not be you.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

My mum and dad always put waste food down the toilet. You're only missing out one process in the chain.

6. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Lodger told me never to use kitchen roll if you run out of toilet paper. I've followed his advice and besides, I have my beloved shower bidet, which also is much better than a disgusting bog brush.

Three times in a year suggests a drain problem to me. Sorry to ask, but do you perhaps have a teenaged daughter who's a bit careless about how she disposes of stuff?

Only today I poured a couple of spoonfuls of leftover lemon flan down the loo. No fat, though.

7. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

If you suspect that it might be a shared drain (as in orkrider's case) them call out the waterboard first. I can't remember the exact rules but they've changed, and very much to householders' advantage. Our back garden got all boggy due to a shared drain blocked by a baby wipe. Imfortunately panicked and called in a plumber first. Good luck!

8. thatmaninthehat

Sooooo.....Lost it is then?I'm on series 5.Anyone watched the whole 6 series?TV is so bad these days I'm buying box sets of old stuff.

9. thatmaninthehat

Maybe I'd be better off flushing them down the toilet.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seems to me that you were not so much clearing the U-bend as going through the motions.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We have bio-degradable bags and a brown bin for that.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Amazing what you can come up against.

13. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Get the drains checked out .

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As a housing manager, whenever I have a resident complain that they can't flush the loo, my first instinct is to lift the manhole covers to see if the drains are clear. Frequently they're not.

As a housing manager I call out Dynarod to clear the drain and that's usually the end of it. I always ask what caused the blockage to see if it's something that can be averted in the future, such as if someone's emptying a cat litter tray down the lav, I could narrow the problem down to anyone with a cat, but with incontinence pads and chip fat, it isn't so easy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had, what became known as The Stink last year. Outside all the houses in our street was a dreadful smell, which infiltrated indoors from time to time. The builders investigated, Dynarod came out three times, nothing made a difference. Eventually, after six weeks, the decision was taken to send a mahoosive pressure washer thing through the pipes. The resulting explosion due to the build up of nappies, wipes and fat was apparently something to behold. The water company was not impressed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aw, bless! Thanks :)

Has this been happening since Sat-t u r d-ay?... Sorry.

My best idea is like Zizzy's - we also have Homeserve; any plumbing or electric problems are sorted on the day. Worth the monthly fee.

Dyno-Rod sounds your best bet. Summat similar happened to us and it was solved by a good thrutching by a man and his hose.

Am twitching a bit, because I stupidly washed out a peanut butter jar ( for my art class) and poured it down the sink. I will not tell this to Mr Dunty. Not after Beef Fat Gate. That's when I gaily poured hot beef fat down the sink - on a freezing January day. Tried those bottles of caustic stuff and poking with rods. Nope. Had to get Homeserve to dismantle pipes and retrieve a frozen solid U bend shaped piece of fat. Yes, I did go a bit red...

Hope you get sorted. It's no laughing matter...

Lara mfl 05, emerald52 and calamansi like this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Actually, am now going to pour boiling water and washing up liquid down the sink. I may sleep badly.

18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

There's a lot of toilet humour on this thread.

Lara mfl 05 and calamansi like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

Checking the drains is essential, I'd say. If nothing else, you'd at least eliminate that line of enquiry.

There could be a blockage, which is first noticed in the downstairs loo cos of the lower pressure. The upstairs contributes to the blockage, but the higher pressure means everything appears to flush away OK. In reality the system is getting slowly more blocked, until things get very nasty when the manhole cover gets pushed up. I've seen this phenomenon at a place I used to work, and it's as pleasant as it sounds.

Where is the manhole? If it's only on your property, you might be entirely responsible for the cost.

I got someone in when I had to sort out this blocked drain problem in a property I was dealing with. (I just went on check-a-trade, and picked one of the very highest rated). The chappy had a drain clearing thing, that chugged through the "material", and continued digging away, almost as if it was alive. Funnily enough there wasn't actually that much of a smell when the manhole cover was lifted, cos of the crust on the top. (Fun eh?) Once the crust was broken though - phwooh, the stench was quite something.

Once cleared, he said that something must have blocked that drain, and that merely unblocking it (at £200 a shot I think), would simply be treating the symptoms, and a few months later it might well happen again. He noted that we had one of these ancient devices:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchan_trap

and that these wear out, and are responsible for blockages. He said the guaranteed solution would be to excavate, and replace the trap.

I decided to go ahead. It cost nearly £2000, but that was the last of the matter (oops - bit of a pun there).

calamansi likes this.
  20. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

A very educational thread. We had this problem once. The outside man hole cover was lifted and the blockage was wipes lodging in a sort of grill at the end where it joined the sewer pipe in the road. There to prevent rats joining us. It didn’t smell at all.
    (I’m joking )
    My evening was spent not assembling a flat pack. Once I get the box open I’ll be alright.