1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun things to do in the evening

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 7, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So turns out our downstairs toilet is blocked. Lan learned this at the weekend. The smell gave it away.

Lan went to B&Q and bought the strongest detergents he could fine. They didn't do any good. Lan poured a few kettles of boiling water down the bog. Not much good.

The smell got worse.

Today MrsLan said she wanted to go to B&Q and buy a flexible tube you can put down the toilet and break up the blockages. So off we go. No such tube. Helpful staff sell us a plunger with an air blowing nozzle. Woo...

Lan gets home and tries to us it... ram ram ram, whoosh whoosh whoosh... no effect... Lan pushes it further down the toilet. Ram ram ram, and water sprays all over Lan. Toilet water... oh god...

Lan gets frustrated and resorts to third person in effort to disassociate himself from events. MrsLan gets sprayed too. In it together.

Lan remembers trick from construction trade many moons ago. Goes and gets mop, wraps plastic bag around head and starts ramming the toilet. Glug glug splash splash... no prisoners no mercy! Boiling water flush glug ram ram splash gurgle glug glug...

Is it fixed? We don't know... Lan has showered and clothes are in washing machine...

Lan not happy.

So how's your evening?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not as bad as yours! Do you have more than one loo? It's not something you can easily manage without!

I should have gone to Pilates but feeling a bit rough so skipped it. That's all - I'll have an early night.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We have an upstairs one... we'll be fine... but I'm hellagrumpy...

InkyP likes this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Great, thanks for asking :p

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my condolences to all concerned, including the shower and the washing machine.
    i'm just doing a bit of planning and watching wedding dress tv.

Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They begged me not to.

Norsemaid and emilystrange like this.
  7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If you have a shower, disconnect the flexible tube from the shower head and the unit, and use it to try and dislodge the block?

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Get a plumber. It could be a blocked drain.

9. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Has anyone been flushing anything down they shouldn't?Apart from the obvious things I mean regular tissues rather than toilet tissue?(a plumber once told me never to do that)and not wet wipes.Pouring loads of hot water and detergent down is easier than the mop thing and will work eventually.

calamansi likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah but... then the shower tube would have been down the toilet...

I could buy a new shower tube and wrap the end in a cloth/plastic bag mix... hmmm

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Did I ever tell you all about the time our kitchen was flooded with the products of all toilets (3), baths and washbasins from floors 1 & 2....:mad: Paddling around the "water" in bare feet with my trousers turned up trying to mop it up:eek:

We've had it happen 3 times in 6 years...:(

So I have great sympathy for anyone with "toilet" problems...

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

MrsLan may have been disposing of food waste that way... yes I know I know... terrible thing to do. I think that too. Done now...

13. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Don't call a plumber!!!Just keep pouring the hot water and detergent down but do it slowly! It will be cheaper than a plumber.Trust me!

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Dunteachin has the best idea. There are some things that just demand getting a man in ;)

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wash the shower tube in bleach and water afterwards. It kills 99.9% of germs.
    Don't worry about the other tiny percent...

kibosh and FrankWolley like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sympathy your way...

I tried arguing that men and women were equal and MrsLan needed to do her fair share in the toilet... she didn't think feminism applied here.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll try this a few times this evening... well tomorrow... we put this enzyme stuff down there and I want to give that a chance at working. I can hear the toilet gurgling to itself... concocting some monstrosity.

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I always have an old motorcycle throttle cable for such emergencies...
    Surprisingly effective usually

Lara mfl 05, racroesus and kibosh like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Let's be honest... dunteachin usually has the best ideas in general...

If it isn't cleared by tomorrow night [I'll try the hot water/detergent route] then I'll get a plumber.

Lara mfl 05 and lindenlea like this.
  20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are you planning on eating the shower hose afterwards?
    Thought not. It's a few bacteria, probs nothing more lethal than what's in your mouth and guts already.

As Arnie says - Do it! Do it NOW!