1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun practical ways to introduce the number line...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Honey94, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm looking to begin introducing the number line to Reception children and would like some fun and practical ways of doing this? i realise this is a big step in their maths progress and want it to be memorable! Any ideas would be welcomed. Thank you!

2. Hi, I'm looking to begin introducing the number line to Reception children and would like some fun and practical ways of doing this? i realise this is a big step in their maths progress and want it to be memorable! Any ideas would be welcomed. Thank you!

3. with year one I used a giant number line made of squares inside (could get children to help set it up to see how the numbers get bigger as you go up the line?) or used the snake outside which was also a number line. Pretty much just had them going up and down jumping around on it e.g. what happens to the number if you jump one forward.

4. There's a simple game they can play using number tiles and rolling the dice to reach their goal. In this case it was the bears den but could be anything linked to their topic or interests.