1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun poetry...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tiffster, Aug 13, 2009.

1. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

On the scrounge for ideas please - this one is for Poetry Week. I am after fun, interactive poetry ideas for the whole school. So far, I've got...
    - "Poems On The Underground" - they choose poems which are significant/interesting to them and make a display/podcast based on these.
    - Magnetic poetry
    - "Poetry slam" - a poetry/rapping competition of some kind (going to work this out!)
    - Performance poetry for each class (I'm collecting suitable titles; already have "The Train To Glasgow"; "Revolting Rhymes"; Hillaire Beloc's "Cautionary Tales"; "The Giant Jam Sandwich"; "The House That Jack Built"; "The Owl And The Pussycat";"Oh, I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth" - any other suggestions welcome...)
    - A "Poetry chain" - a paper chain of favourite lines from poems (see how far it can stretch by the end of the week?)
    - Book making - poetry anthologies
    Anyone got any really blinding poetry lessons/activities to share? Or particular poems which have gone down well? Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

2. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

On the scrounge for ideas please - this one is for Poetry Week. I am after fun, interactive poetry ideas for the whole school. So far, I've got...
    - "Poems On The Underground" - they choose poems which are significant/interesting to them and make a display/podcast based on these.
    - Magnetic poetry
    - "Poetry slam" - a poetry/rapping competition of some kind (going to work this out!)
    - Performance poetry for each class (I'm collecting suitable titles; already have "The Train To Glasgow"; "Revolting Rhymes"; Hillaire Beloc's "Cautionary Tales"; "The Giant Jam Sandwich"; "The House That Jack Built"; "The Owl And The Pussycat";"Oh, I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth" - any other suggestions welcome...)
    - A "Poetry chain" - a paper chain of favourite lines from poems (see how far it can stretch by the end of the week?)
    - Book making - poetry anthologies
    Anyone got any really blinding poetry lessons/activities to share? Or particular poems which have gone down well? Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

3. Michael Rosen's 'Chocolate'
    give them all a chocolate button to hold as you read the poem and they carry out the actions with the chocolate in their hands. At the end they get to lick the chocolate off their palms. Children love it - whatever their age. A good intro. to those who think poetry might be dull.

4. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Oh, I love this poem. Also chocolate! Thanks kettlebabes - what a brilliant idea. Will use that one!

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Why don't you try the website that I have spent three years making myself: Google: JOSIE'S POEMS I am a retired teacher myself and I also write a lot of poetry for all key stages, and much has been chosen by teachers for publication. I started writing five years ago for the children in my local primary school, and I used to take them a poem a week into their class and they loved the poems and often brought me the subject for the next one. I have now written about 850 poems, if not more (lost count), and, knowing the sort of poems that teachers need for their classrooms, I've tried to make them useful too. So, please do come and see all the work I've done and support me because this is my own original work and only a few of the poems are the classic poems written by other authors now out of copyright. Thank you so much.

6. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Have you visited the poetry archive - http://www.poetryarchive.org/childrensarchive/home.do where there are poems read aloud by the poets as well as some interviews. They bring the poems alive I think.
    There are also loads of ideas on the official Poetry day website - http://www.nationalpoetryday.co.uk .