1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun partitioning activity

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jen g, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Hi ya, I am wondering if anyone has any fun partitioning activites for year 2 children. I was going to ask the children to generate numbers using place value cards and record it as 30+2=32 etc. But they seem really tired and I want to liven it up- not worried about recording at this stage just want them to learn through a fun activity. Thank you to anyone who responds[​IMG]

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Hi ya, I am wondering if anyone has any fun partitioning activites for year 2 children. I was going to ask the children to generate numbers using place value cards and record it as 30+2=32 etc. But they seem really tired and I want to liven it up- not worried about recording at this stage just want them to learn through a fun activity. Thank you to anyone who responds[​IMG]

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Gosh I was very boring and just used place value cards! Although I did get a tin with 10p coins and they had to count how many 10ps, then how many 1ps I dropped in, and wrote it as a number sentence as we went. So I dropped in say 5, they counted in 10s and wrote 50 + then I dropped in say, 6 ones, they counted and then added say 6 so wrote 50 + 6 = then they had to add them together, then we counted them together, and then I showed them on place value cards. That was quite fun.

4. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Thank you for replying- I find being inspired for numeracy objectives harder than lit! I like the money idea and will have a look at crickweb - I was also wondering whether to let the children create the number with unifix - might even have a carousel of activities--- ARGH decisions decisions!!!

5. im only a few years late replying. I use my children as place value numbers... children then write on w/b the numbers made :)

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I've not tried this, but could you give all the girls a PV card from the 10s and all the boys a PV card from the units, and then ask them to walk around the room until you shout "odd number!" or "Even number" or "Multiple of 11" etc. and each boy and girl has to pair up with someone to make what you have called out.

I can imagine it being quite fun and very easy to assess who 'gets it'. If you like I have some free place value cards you can download from my website.

7. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

If you try this and it's rubbish, I apologise!

I like the fact that if you shout "odd number" any boy with an even digit will be stuffed - interesting to see who realises that and who doesn't.

8. I like that idea, Andrew. Might try it next week with my Y2/3s.