1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fun mental/oral starters!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elby, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hello lovely people!
    I'm trying to find mental/oral maths starters to help my year 3's learn their number bonds to 10/20/100 and their times tables!
    I'm getting a bit bored of the usual 'Last Man Standing' 'Fizz Buzz' 'Bingo' 'I say, you say' 'Beat the Teacher' etc (even though my kids actually enjoy them!!) and wondered if anyone had any different exciting games?!? Am just a bit conscious that my planning must be getting a bit samey and also being observed by the head in a new job soon!
    Thanks in advance! Happy weekend!
    Elby

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

How about throwing a large die around and whatever number you get you say the question and the answer (decide on a times table first say 3 times and if they catch 5 side up they have 5x3) Try using a large multi-sided die that goes up to 12. Or give out pieces of paper some with the question and some with the answers and children have to find their match. These games are good for the kinesthetic learners.

3. I am the music manager and now use songs/raps to teach things such as number bonds in the oral/mental starter. Do you know the wheels on the bus tune? Try putting the number bonds to ten/twenty to that tune and singing them together, then miss out one of the pair of numbers the second time that you sing it for the children to fill in!
    ie. zero and ten equals ten
    one and nine equals ten
    two and eight equals ten
    three and 7 equals ten
    four and 6 equals ten etc. to last line which is
    <u>Now we know our number bonds to ten!</u> ( Sing it through - it fits the tune!!)

Second time that you sing it , miss out the bond for the children to sing back at you, ie.
    zero and _____?_____ equals ten, etc.((Or they could hold up cards, write on whiteboards etc).
    I've also written a rap to chant for number bonds to 20, which may be more suitable for Y3 use. Introduce some percussion instruments for children to beat out the rhythm and possibly ask some children to tap out the other 'half' of the bond with some quick fire questions at the end, eg 3 and ? = 20. Who can beat out the right number on the tambour? Let's all listen and check!!
    If you'd like me to post the rap here , let me know or send me a message.
    Thanks! Hope this is useful.

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

You could get children to write their own songs or raps using familiar nursery songs.

(Sometimes this is how we present our science data!)

5. Ah these are all great ideas, thank you!!
    Loving the rapping/singing ones, would love to hear the bonds to 20 rap LucyKate5!

6. http://www.crickweb.co.uk/

7. If you like the idea of songs for maths try-
    http://www.numberfun.co.uk/dg/index.htm
    This is Dave Godfrey's site. He's written some great songs to tie with LO. There are a few free downloads of these performed on the site for use in the classroom - if you like them, why not get your school to buy the book and CDs..
    I'm not his agent, honest. They really are good

8. Hi I am a trainee teacher on placement at the moment looking for mental oral starter ideas. I was just wondering if you could send me that rap song please on JWINITA@MSN.COM.