1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun lessons for year seven?

Discussion in 'English' started by dylan83, May 14, 2011.

1. A standalone lesson I've done a few times with year 7 is poetry performance, something along these lines:
    Starter - what makes a good performance. Teacher reads a poem really badly - dull, monotone voice, etc. Students to identify what was good and bad (they'll enjoy criticising!)
    Main - read through a fun poem with the group (I like to use Roald Dahl's poem about Red Riding Hood) and then put them in groups. Get them to prepare a performance of the poem, up to them how they do it, whether it be drama with narration or just different people reading. Give them some success criteria for a good performance
    After some rehearsal time, groups should perform to each other. You could team groups to peer assess each other.
    Plenary - students write a reflection of their performance and how well they met the success criteria.
    Always worked well for me!