1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun introduction to newspapers!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JumpingStarfish, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JumpingStarfish

JumpingStarfish New commenter

Hiya,
    I'm being observed on Tuesday and its my first Literacy lesson of the term. I'm planniing on introducing newspapers to the kids but am having a total mindblock as to how to make the lesson interesting, engaging and exciting! Was just wondeirng if anyone has any good tips/lesson ideas they can offer?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Chop up a front page into the constituent parts and give them to groups to rearrange? This would only be a starter though.

What do you want the children to learn in the lesson?

3. try googling FirstNews . It is written for children. There are pages you can print off... laminate some articles, put them round the classroom and and get them hunting in mixed ability reading pairs for different features of headlines (alliteration, puns etc).

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

A teacher at my placement school did this fantastically with Y3.
    There were 2 toys (beanie babies I think) that were kept in the classroom. She hid them one day, and told the class someone had stolen them. The kids had to make posters to put up round school telling everyone they were missing. Over the week she put out various "clues" for them to find, they did a lot of talking, and eventually wrote a newspaper article about the whole thing.
    The kids LOVED it. I think newspapers can be such a boring topic, but this was so fun.

5. JumpingStarfish

Thanks very much for the ideas guys, you have really helped out a VERY
    stressed teacher this evening. Also trying to plan fora staff meeting I
    got sprung on me on Friday! Its given me a few starting points at least. I love the idea of the missing teddies, but need to look at features before I do anything else.

Thanks again for all your help!

6. pooped

pooped New commenter

I used a newspaper report about Humpty Dumpty and used this to draw out features of a report. I wrote it myself but if it would be of any use can e mail it to you. Children really enjoyed it and wrote some really imaginative reports of their own.

7. JumpingStarfish

That would be amazing pooped, thank you so much for offering. My email address is jumpingstarfish@hotmail.com