1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun in nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cheekychops, Dec 3, 2015.

1. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

I have taught in both a nursery and foundation stage with a mix of nursery and reception for 35 plus years but I feel its time to call it a day Where is the fun now in challenging these little minds, where's the spontaneity when we just want to get up and dance . I am fed up with everything being data driven and everyone having to reach their targets Hand on heart I feel that the children do not achieve now any more than they did thirty years ago They were the days when we would up sticks on a lovely day and go to visit the local woods, now its all risk assessments and adult child ratios Fair enough to say I have definitely had the best years in teaching!!

2. Lizzyr123

Lizzyr123 New commenter

I agree with you. We must be a similar age I am leaving my early years job at Christmas all of the joy has been sucked out of my job. Children are no longer important its not good enough to have enthusiastic children that are settled and motivated to learn and love coming to school. It is data data data. There is no way I would become a teacher now it is a thankless job. I still love working with the children but the rest of the rubbish that goes with the job is unbearable. Supply teaching here I come.

Rajindamum likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Absolutely true. I'm glad I have retired, it's not the job I trained for and enjoyed for nearly 30 years.

Rajindamum likes this.
  4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You know, you are absolutely true. I speak now as a retired teacher and so it was a long time ago when I was a child, but there were no nursery schools, playschools etc then and our mothers were mainly at home, but we played out with other children, did lots of make-believe games, and had quite a good little social life, and when we started school the war had just ended and we had very limited resources, but look at the reading and writing skills of our generation, maths skills etc and you'll find they are good. We are amazed to listen to young people who can't pronounce their words very well, can't spell and aren't interested in reading. Something has gone wrong over the years for certain.

Rajindamum likes this.