1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun games to reinforce finding the difference

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Jan 15, 2012.

1. For Year 2. Really struggling and don't just want to present numbers that they count up/back to find the difference. I'd love some fun games to engage them!
    wbat

2. For Year 2. Really struggling and don't just want to present numbers that they count up/back to find the difference. I'd love some fun games to engage them!
    wbat

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Not saying these are particularly fun ideas, but if you mean the chn are atruggling to understand concept using data on bar charts can help. Or to build deeper understanding they could try and find two numbers with a given difference. Or you could have teddies etc wearing birthday badges - which 2 have a difference of 7 between ages? In a small world are eg ask chn to set up farm so the difference between the amount of cows and sheep is a given number.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I agree that the context is the key here.
    Measures of any kind can help children understand what we mean by 'finding the difference'.
    There are 2 ways of looking at this ... you could take a context such as height (children, plants etc) and ask questions such as 'Last week Sam's sunflower measured 50cm, now it measures 53cm. How much taller is it now?' This is about one thing increasing (or decreasing) in length, weight etc.
    Or it could be about comparing 2 objects. 'Sam's sunflower measures 50cm and Dan's measures 56cm. How much taller is Dan's sunflower?'
    The tricky bit is for children to understand that this is a form of subtraction and, therefore, struggle to record this accurately.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

6. Thanks. I love the beam stuff and hadn't thought to look there.