1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun games for class sleepover

Discussion in 'Primary' started by titus4t, Apr 18, 2012.

1. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I'm leading a class sleepover for our Year 2s this Friday. We had organised a night walk but the weather is looking increasingly dodgy! Can anyone help with ideas for the sort of fun games you play at PGL and places like that. I can't remember how to play Sharks (though I remember it involving lots of PE mats?). Also I remember a game where the class sat in pairs with their legs outstretched and their feet touching in a kind of ladder but I can't remember any more than that. And there's the islands game that involves ever smaller pieces of paper? All help/ ideas as to how to occupy/exhaust 40 year 2s gratefully accepted!

2. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I'm leading a class sleepover for our Year 2s this Friday. We had organised a night walk but the weather is looking increasingly dodgy! Can anyone help with ideas for the sort of fun games you play at PGL and places like that. I can't remember how to play Sharks (though I remember it involving lots of PE mats?). Also I remember a game where the class sat in pairs with their legs outstretched and their feet touching in a kind of ladder but I can't remember any more than that. And there's the islands game that involves ever smaller pieces of paper? All help/ ideas as to how to occupy/exhaust 40 year 2s gratefully accepted!

3. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

You are brave! When it all gets too much for them (you?), there's always good old 'Sleeping Lions'!! But seriously, you could do some teamwork games, like give them masses of newspaper and cellotape and they have to work together to make the tallest tower. Or later on, perhaps telling scary ghost stories. Or giving them a time limit to work in a group and come up with a mini-play/show to perform for the others. I would intersperse with quieter things too, like some drawing/colouring. You will have lots of fun...(also inspired me!! Hmm....)

4. We play 'Sharky sharky sharky' where the shark stands in the middle and shouts, 'Fishy fishy fishy come play in my sea' and the rest of the children shout back, 'Sharky sharky sharky you can't catch me'.
    I play it on the netball court so the shark stands in the centre circle and the fish all start in the shooting semi circle. They have to run to the other end of the court and the semi circle that end is home. No one is allowed to run outside of the court and if they do or if the shark tags them, they turn into seaweed. Seaweed can not move their feet but can move their arms so they can help tag people. I always make the seaweed turn around and face the oncoming fish so they can see what's going on.
    I remember playing handball at youth club, where you have a soft sponge football and play in two teams. The aim is to hit the opposing team members' legs with the ball. Takes a bit of honesty though - they don't always tell the truth!
    Pictionary is always a nice game in teams - I play boys vs girls and we use the IWB but good old paper and pencil works too. Or Draw Something on thr ipad, of course!
    I also remember the old North, South, East and West game which was linked to ships - something about scrubbing the decks as well.
    I would tread carefully with ghost stories with Y2 though - some will still be 6 and might not be as brave as you think they are!

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I've got an outside event this Friday evening with my year 2's!!! Dunno what to do bout weather!!

6. A class version of scattergories works well, as does a class talent show- take some suitable music; we normally take a simple craft to do in case of rain. Old fashioned charades is also good if you choose verbs for them to do. The newspaper dressing up game is fun if they have a fashion parade at the end.

7. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Awe and wonder!!!!!!!!

8. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Thanks all! Keep em coming! We're doing it as a fundraiser - £5 a head! (and a slight educational link to the KS2 longer writing task where they have to right about the Night). Sleeping lions - I wish!. Weather looking better this morning.....

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The version I remember involves everyone sitting around the edge of a large blanket or parachute with their legs underneath it. The sharks crawl around underneath and grab people by their feet, dragging them under the blanket. You were allowed to try and 'swim away' from the shark if you got caught.
    Fruit salad. Children get into pairs and pick a type of fruit. They then sit opposite each other with their feet touching, as do all the other pairs. The adult calls out a type of fruit and that pair have to stand up and race each other down the ladder, stepping over the other children's legs, then run up the outside to the top of the ladder, and back down it to their original places. First one of the pair to sit down wins a point for their side. If the adult calls out "Fruit salad" everyone has to get up and race down, back up and down to their original places; first side with everyone sitting down wins.