1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun for the whole family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by p_c_raatz, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Greetings All,

I'm coming to the forum for some advice. My wife and I are looking at moving abroad for a year or two to get the experience in our respective fields as well as provide that experience to your young children. My wife is an OBGYN and I am a Social Studies Teacher looking to get my ELA Certification and TEFL Certificate. Our children are presently 5 and 2. We may have another young one before we would travel. What locations would work best for our family? We are looking at Abu Dhabi and Dubai for the language benefits and ease of medical work.

Thanks!

2. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

This has been covered before here but... international schools are real schools that probably won't hire someone looking to move away in less than 2 years. Most contracts are at least 2 years.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

With the expectation that you will stay longer if all goes well.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

What is OBGYN?

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

What are the language benefits of Abu Dhabi and Dubai? English is the common language there

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Why are you getting your TEFL is you are a proper teacher already?

7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

OBGYN - Obstetrician / Gynecologist

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You've led a sheltered life Stopwatch ;)

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

As above, you don't need to get a TEFL qualification if you're already a qualified teacher. Unless of course, you will be going primarily with your wife's career and you will just be picking up the occasional TEFL work while she earns the lion's share (in which case this forum isn't that much use to you).

The first thing you need to do is figure out who is going to be the primary earner where you go. If it's you, then I'm not sure you could support a family of potentially 5 on one TEFL salary. If you're in an international school with you as the sole earner teaching Social Studies then it would be easier as most decent schools would give you two free child places and a potential third would be too young to need one.

Something to keep in mind is that social studies as a distinct subject may not be taught in many international schools and therefore this may limit you.

It would be worth researching primarily whether your wife could potentially relocate on a short term contract to another country, and be the main earner.