1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun data handling activity- year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by helskie26, Jan 15, 2011.

1. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

We are focusing on data handling next week and I am lacking inspration! I need an activity that the children can do to collect data, then use the data to create a pictogram/bar chart and then answer questions.
    My problem is coming up with a fun activity though as we have laready done- fruit, crisps etc and I want something that will interest my class.
    I would really appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Favourite TV programme /cartoon /song /comic
    Favourite chocolate bar (I used cadburys miniture heros and celebrations they could pick their favourite and used the wrapper to create the pictogram)

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

how about fave ball games? You could allow them to have short sessions using a basketball, football, tennis ball, rugby ball, for example, and then after that survey the class and ask their fave ball game out of those.

favourite school dinner is a good one and there is a great video on Teachers' TV demonstrating a lesson doing that. The chn make human bar charts - it is great!

4. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Thank you for the ideas I am now feeling inspired!!
    Jog on- I have had a quick look on teachers TV but I can't find that lesson. Please can you tell me what you put in the search box. Thanks

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I'll have a look now for you! :)

6. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

7. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Thanks- have just watched it and that is exactly what I was looking for!

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Hope it goes well :)

9. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

I'd like to say thanks very much for this as well! I'm teaching Y1 data handling, and I'm sure this will come in handy.
    I also had a look at the rest of the series and found a load of great videos for other subjects. Thanks a lot!