1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun and multi-sensory ways to teach spellings and times tables?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freckles88, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hi there, I start my new job in a just over a week as a teaching assistant supporting a child with SEN's. I will be working with him in the classroom as well as taking him out of class for 20 mins per day to do extra work with him. His IEP has several targets, such as learning how to spell new words, 7 x table, and number bonds to 100. I'm looking for some fun ways that I could help him learn these as I want him to enjoy it! He wears hearing aids, and glasses and prefers to learn through touch so I'd like to incorporate some multi-sensory apporaches in. Any ideas for something a bit different?? He is in yr 6 and suffers from Global Development Delay if this is any help. Thanks in advance xx

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It seems odd to be working on the 7x table AND on number bonds to 100. Number bonds to 100 is a year 2 expectation, whereas the 7x table is year 5/6.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/157471533X/ref=oss_product arrived today for me to get some ideas for year 2. Looks excellent and might work for you, depending on the mental age of the child.

3. I've got this book for Year1 Minnieminx. I've found it to have some useful ideas for whole class/group teaching or for part of my continuous provision.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you for that leafyvegetables, always good to hear a recommendation.

5. I can send you some board games that can be used to practise spellings, number bonds or tables. I can also give you some posters of mnemonics for tricky spellings. You could try making up some together for some of the words he is learning. You could put out plastic letters or tiles and time him unscrabbling them to make the word. I used to send words home in a little bag for this activity. I used the letters from Early Learning as they had different colours for vowels and consonants. Using a Magna Doodle to write words can be fun. I also have word cards for phonic patterns and sentences on cards that I can send you.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com