1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fun and games with JSA.....need some input from those that have dealt with being told they can't claim because they're a supply teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Moony, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

In a nutshell, i'm working supply as i had a1 year contract at a school i wasn't happy with, i left the contract and signed up with a supply agency to make sure i would have some money till i worked out what i was going to do next (i was ready to walk from teaching). Had a nice time at that school and my confidence was rebuilt and by the end of the academic year i was ready to look for teaching jobs again, which is about when I started claiming JSA when there was no work. Come sept and I get a part time long term contract job, which works out better for me than being on the dole so i sign off during term time. I sign back on over half term no problems but then i go to sign back on today and the woman that dealt with me was saying that because i'd have a regular pattern of when i was working and when i wasn't working i'd probably not get JSA.

She did the paperwork anyway and it's gone off for some decision thing but as you might understand i'm a little bit annoyed by this. I tried telling her i'm doing supply because it means i'm not on the dole whilst i look for a permanent job, but apparently because of the fact we're paid differently to perm teachers i'm on a higher rate to account for holidays so like school canteen staff i would not be eligable for JSA. I'm fortunate that I know my part time long term job will run until the end of feb but beyond that I've no idea what will happen. Chances are the person i'm covering for will be off for a while but as i'm sure you're all aware there is no real guarenty in that. I think the thing that's really annoyed me the most is if i hadn't taken this long term job the JC would be chasing me to find out what work i've been looking for and chastising me if i didn't accept work!! So it's either work when i can and not be eligable for help when i need it or be one of the feckless mooched on JSA* that could work but opts not to!

*I specifically mean what i say, those that could work but opt to avoid it, i know there are plent on JSA that would love to work.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

In a nutshell, i'm working supply as i had a1 year contract at a school i wasn't happy with, i left the contract and signed up with a supply agency to make sure i would have some money till i worked out what i was going to do next (i was ready to walk from teaching). Had a nice time at that school and my confidence was rebuilt and by the end of the academic year i was ready to look for teaching jobs again, which is about when I started claiming JSA when there was no work. Come sept and I get a part time long term contract job, which works out better for me than being on the dole so i sign off during term time. I sign back on over half term no problems but then i go to sign back on today and the woman that dealt with me was saying that because i'd have a regular pattern of when i was working and when i wasn't working i'd probably not get JSA.

She did the paperwork anyway and it's gone off for some decision thing but as you might understand i'm a little bit annoyed by this. I tried telling her i'm doing supply because it means i'm not on the dole whilst i look for a permanent job, but apparently because of the fact we're paid differently to perm teachers i'm on a higher rate to account for holidays so like school canteen staff i would not be eligable for JSA. I'm fortunate that I know my part time long term job will run until the end of feb but beyond that I've no idea what will happen. Chances are the person i'm covering for will be off for a while but as i'm sure you're all aware there is no real guarenty in that. I think the thing that's really annoyed me the most is if i hadn't taken this long term job the JC would be chasing me to find out what work i've been looking for and chastising me if i didn't accept work!! So it's either work when i can and not be eligable for help when i need it or be one of the feckless mooched on JSA* that could work but opts not to!

*I specifically mean what i say, those that could work but opt to avoid it, i know there are plent on JSA that would love to work.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The way I understand it, but could be wrong, is that if you are a "career" supply teacher then you are not eligible for JSA during the school holidays because that that is part of the conditions you choose to accept. You are not actively looking for a job but going back onto supply in January..
    If on the other hand you have not "chosen" to be a supply teacher but are actively looking for a regular post and just doing odd days supply until then you are eligible for JSA because you are not expecting to go back to your old job in a few weeks time.
    But you must make it clear this is the case, however if you are signing on every school holiday then the JC staff will see a pattern in their records and might suspect the the former scenario is the case. Signing on during the longer Summer holidys is less of a problem since you can claim with some honesty that any positions you was filling (supply or otherwise) terminated at the end of that School year.
    Incidently if you are being paid by an agency its unlikely you are on the higher rate the JC lady thinks you are, you also need to take into account how many days you did work and so exactly how many days holiday you have been paid for.
    All very confusing [​IMG]

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

was filling or were filling?
    I dunno, its Christmas and my brain is having an alcohol induced rest [​IMG]

5. My experience is you make a claim. The jobcentre sends it to the benefit people. The benefit people send you a form were you declare your hours.
    From my experience the form requires you declare your hours over the year before the date of first claim. So all supply teachers should keep a diary of their work days otherwise it is difficult to fill in the form.
    The benefit people decision makers then average your days worked over the previous year. If the average is above 16 hours then they (from my experience) will not pay benefits. Lower than 16 hours they pay.
    However this year some directives seem to be changing and the system is all over the show. I have heard that they are asking for a 6 month record of work instead of a year record of work (which I am used to)
    However my advice is keep on the back of the benefit decision makers, not the Jobcentre. The Jobcentre just passes info to the benefit decison makers,
    They are all just a bunch of public sector jobsworths and they could not give a jot about yours or my claim!