1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fuming and fed up

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cc2lwa, Mar 8, 2017.

1. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

I am on a long term supply post in a fairly challenging school, where behaviour can be testing. I have a particular year 9 class who I have had for a few month now, and have had great difficulties with them.
    I have had major disruptions coming from a few people where they seem hell bent on spoiling the learning of others, throwing things around behind my back, talking really disrespectfully to me and sometimes doing no work at all.
    I have went down the behaviour management, school disciplinary route, one of the pupils is now excluded from my class.
    I feel I have had luke warm support from management and I still feel I am going round in circles with the same issues.
    The management's latest resolve was to put me into an open plan area where the class could be "surveilled" better.
    This has resulted today in more stupid behaviour, more disruption, and I now basically feel I am in a goldfish bowl. - this new idea has not solved any of the issues.
    The class are known to be a bad class, I really don't know what to do next. I need a job, job's are scarce in my region, so that stops me from just saying "bye" find some other mug. Can anyone offer any advice please?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi cc2lw

I truly,truly feel sorry for you as you are in a terrible dilemma.

Are you in a position to move to another Ares to find something suitable? I know it isn't easy to just up and move, but could you move and rent somewhere where you could get work in a decent place?

You must try to find alternative work, since the management are not supporting you and they will not change,

In the meantime, gombsck tomSLT and tell them you want to move back into a classroom and you need TAs or another adult in the room.

This is simply outrageous.

Please,please try to find something else. It is upsetting to think you have to work under such terrible conditions. I have seen classes like the ones you describe and they can be turned around but it takes a lot of effort and teamwork with SLT's support.

See if you can find work in another area even if it means sleeping in a rented room somewhere until youncan get sorted.

les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I was just going to post the same thing when I saw the post. Can you actively look for something in your area then leave as soon as you find something? Maybe join another agency to see if they have another long term supply post.

cc2lwa likes this.
  4. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks pepper5 but I am not in a position to up sticks I am afraid. It is an idea maybe to proposition the management some way and ruffle their feathers as they certainly have no regard for me.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi cc

I understand you can't just up sticks and magically find another post; however, could you look for something outside the area where you live and just rent a room in someone's house? I know that sounds extreme, but where you are at sounds terrible. I know I couldn't do it - not as long as you have done ( for months). I would probably last about 2 days maximum.

Try to appear to be reasonable when you speak to the management: explain in a calm manner that you need to be back in a classroom and not in an open area, as in a classroom the children will be able to focus better as they won't have so many distractions.

I just don't see how you can sort this out without help from the HOD and other SLT. That is why you need to find another school.

In the meantime, try to focus on the students doing well and the ones following your instructions. Ring their parents and tell them how wonderful they are in terms of their work and behaviour.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

I almost spoke to one of the hierarchy today, but it turned out he was genuinely busy due to school commitments. I feel nervous because I am going over my line managers head when I speak to him, and judging by past behaviour one of the line manager's will not be pleased at all when they hear I have done that.
    I am now opening up and letting the school know I really need help with this one.
    I can't work out of the area as I have family commitments - if I was younger/free then that would be possible.
    I have sent two emails to agencies letting them know I am looking for work again.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Cc

I understand. Let us pray that something will come of your emails to agencies.

You really need a better post.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks pepper5:)

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That is a good first step you have taken to improve matters for yourself.

I have noticed that in some schools SLT aren't bothered about supporting supply teachers, who are temporary. They have limited time and choose to use this to support the contracted staff in a bid to prevent them from leaving. But other schools have the opposite view, they perhaps give extra support to visiting supply, they appreciate the work done by supply and realise how far up the creek they would be if they couldn't get supply teachers in. So your best option would be to leave your current school in the hope your next falls into the second group.

In the meanwhile one approach to control your class would be to concentrate your effort on the better behaved students. who after all will give you better results . Often the troublemakers are attention seeking and not giving them attention spoils their plan.

pepper5, gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

thanks les25paul

pepper5 likes this.
  11. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Something positive yey! - thankfully a someone on SLT has intervened when they heard about my plight, and some of the class are now being removed - just thought I would let you all know, I must be valued after all!

bonnie1, pepper5, les25paul and 2 others like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Very positive cc21wa.[​IMG]

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I never understood why Yr 8 and 9, usually the worst years by a long way, were nearly always large, mixed ability classes with 3 or 4 kids who needed to be sectioned not put in a school. Any parent who has a child that is even vaguely bright should be charged with child cruelty for putting them in a school that does this. Unfortunately, that's nearly all bog standard state schools.

14. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

My daughter had her worst years in yr 8 & 9. I shudder thinking about how much she was bullied and of some of the stories she would tell me about the behaviour in class.

15. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Hopefully this will improve things for you.I hope so:) keep posting to let us know how things go.

16. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Why are year 8 and 9 so difficult? Well child development goes full circle when young people get to puberty stage....changing bodies and hormones, change of school, change of peer groups this all rings the familiar changes from early beginnings when they had to get used to the world around them the only difference now is that then we supported them encouraged them to find their comfort zones and we were at close hand... Now we expect them to 'grow up' you are at big school now....rings familiar... Our expectations are high and often we expect instant transformation into mature, confident and outgoing individuals over a short time but life is not like that. As we all know.... Internal and external influences often in conflict along with changing teacher after teacher each year.... I remember my training when I followed a student for a whole week it was exhausting as well as challenging for me to adapt to the differing teaching styles, personalities, expectations, formality sometimes, informality another tim, strict one day not so another, happy teachers and the not so as well as all this duplicated by other students, streamed for some subjects-not for others and change of classmates here and there. Put all this along side their own perspectives of life, their aspirations and frustrations of wanting to achieve, yes they will want that, just some journey's are littered with all mention. They need consistency and often it is in conflict with their home life no wonder it takes time for them to fathom all this by the time they get to the end of year 7. Teaching is faster pace, get them there, tick the box, move on, and repeat again and again after all league tables determine so much for the school and the performance recognition of the teachers. Finding that small thing that changes a student to emerge from this can be challenging but a better understanding of why..BECAUSE they are in their second stage of development will help and it will change but remember what is required when they were younger it's no different we just expect too much too quickly... How many of us have seen tears, so alien to them in top class at primary, happen again.... Well this is why. How will this help you.....well find unique ways for your most problematic.... Put them out of their comfort zone with your support right beside them, give them jobs of responsibility to make them focused at the start if the lesson, reward them for doing so, goody bag of equipment rewards goes a long way, a sense of importance and responsibility raises their classroom credit, star of the lesson, yes this really works with this age group... Let slip .. Ah my favourite class, reverse psychology often works. Do not let what happened in another lesson define this lesson for them, divorce the behaviour from the person. Stay with it, you can make a change, students often remember teachers for their strong sense of presence and determination, no matter what as it's the consistency for them to adapt...albeit slower for some... Good luck

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

How difficult it is it to walk into a classroom, sit down, put a coat on a back of a chair, take out a reading book and read for 10 minutes? It isn't exactly asking students to go down into a mine and work for 10 hours.

bonnie1 likes this.
  18. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Your input is great, this forum is therapeutic, it certainly helps when you have issues to talk to others who understand - wonderful! thank you. Monday morning doesn't seem quite as bad with the changes afoot - will keep you posted!:)

bonnie1, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Glad to hear you feel a bit more positive cc.

The people who are enough to post and support on here saved my sanity. As a supply teacher, it is difficult to find sources of support: the agencies are concerned with the schools and their own profit. Some schools simply do not care the conditions that the teachers have to work under - even for their permanent staff.

Always reach out. There will always be someone to listen. I am certainly glad I did and am grateful to all those who post on here.

The problems are not easy to solve, but it is, as you say, therapeutic to have someone to talk to.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

O have insisted that a Y9 boy be removed from one of my classes, after trying every intervention he was still disrupting others.
    He now works elsewhere on work I set and mark, but not disrupting classmates.

pepper5 likes this.