1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fully qualified teacher working as a TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by chrissy_powell, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Are there any fully qualified teachers out there who are working as TA's? Since qualifiying as a teacher I have had some work as a teacher through a supply agency but I have been forced to take a TA job to 'pay the bills.'

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the job! And I think it will certainly help with my classroom skills and with forming relationships with my students when the full time job does come along. I now will appreciate the hard work that TA's do in lessons that I will teach!
    But I still yearn for that illusive job....

2. Are there any fully qualified teachers out there who are working as TA's? Since qualifiying as a teacher I have had some work as a teacher through a supply agency but I have been forced to take a TA job to 'pay the bills.'

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the job! And I think it will certainly help with my classroom skills and with forming relationships with my students when the full time job does come along. I now will appreciate the hard work that TA's do in lessons that I will teach!
    But I still yearn for that illusive job....

3. I work as a TA (the only male in the whole school) but am a secondary qualified teacher. Have worked in secondary for three years but decided on a change :)

4. Had a TA interview in the morning with 2 other people. All 3 of us are teachers.
    Can't comment on the 3 other people interviewing in the afternoon/tomorrow, but you get the picture.

5. The irony of it is that you are a QTS, while TAs, cover supervisors etc are being employed as cut price 'teachers'................

6. I agree....very ironic BUT not the TA's fault.
    I went for a HLTA job, I was very keen and think it's time for me to move on up and guess what......the position was filled by a teacher.
    Quid pro Quo....