1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fully qualified teacher down-grading to LSA. What the worst that could happen?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Chocomuffin75, Oct 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chocomuffin75

Chocomuffin75 New commenter

Hi, I'm a qualified teacher with 4 years under my belt but due to family reasons I cannot make that commitment to late finishes, early mornings, endless meeting and taking books home to mark for this year. My SEN teenager is taking her GCSEs this year and I have decided to take a step back from my time consuming job as a teacher to work as an LSA for a year so I can get home early to cook tea and give my daughter the support she needs but........ everyone I have explained this to seems to think I'm barking mad. Am I?

2. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

No! You are absolutely not barking mad! You're just doing what's best for your own child. Late finishes, early mornings, endless meetings and heavy marking are not conducive to the family life you need to prioritise right now. You are making a compromise and with your teaching experience, you're bound to smash being an LSA!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Absolutely agree, your baby comes FIRST, however make sure you are not being paid as an LSA and expected to do teacher tasks. Also look to doing some tutoring, as this might provide a better compromise. Some agencies have work in schools so you could try there daytime and you could be at home for your baby girl.

Good luck with everything!

Cat

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

I do believe that most LSAs/TAs or whatever they're called thesed days are now expected to do just that.

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Would supply teaching not be a better option? You'd earn in a day what an LSA would earn in a week plus you can pick and choose and "keep your hand in".

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

I'm a teacher who worked as a TA while my children were doing GCSEs. I felt like I was on holiday. It was so unstressed that I was seriously afraid I might just forget to turn up.And I earnt more per hour as a TA than as a teacher.

The only thing is, there is fierce competition from teachers for TA jobs. Most around here are teachers. In fact many schools specify that they want either an ex teacher, or someone getting experience before doing a PGCE

Don't limit yourself to TA jobs, look at other jobs too,

Good luck

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Another possible danger is "I wouldn't do it that way" syndrome.

Many years ago I stopped coaching a kids' rugby team as I moved out of the area. In my new home I went and volunteered to assist at the local club, knowing that I didn't have the time to coach a team myself. It didn't work for me as even though the coach was highly capable I couldn't help myself from thinking, "I wouldn't do it that way". At least I was polite enough to keep my mouth shut but I wasn't doing myself and the team any good by helping so I stopped pretty quickly.

Really the question is, "Can you face watching a lesser teacher mess up a lesson?"