1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fully decodable reading books for KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Shazzypops, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Shazzypops

Shazzypops New commenter

HI,
    I'm currently revamping our school reading scheme so that it is fully phonically decodable up to phase 5. Can anyone recommend any schemes? (We already have Floppy phonics and Songbirds.) I've been considering Collins Big Cat and Bug Phonics. Any help will be much appreciated - TIA

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Look at Pandora Books - much cheaper than others you mention and much more straightforward to engage parents in phonics

Shazzypops likes this.
  3. green_ink

green_ink New commenter

I am looking at this too. We have a mix of Floppy phonics and Songbirds, and some other random ones. I have so far compiled a table of each book with the sounds it covered so that I know what to hand out (they choose within a limited choice so it matches the sounds they have actually learnt). I have looked at Big Cat Phonics but found that at Phase 5 they cover all the ways of spelling (for example) a_e/ay/eigh in one book, even though I would have taught a_e that week. (as well as others! Oh if only the luxury of a sound a week!) So these are good for the end of the Phase for consolidation but not so god for reading reinforcement of a particular set of sounds.
    Does anyone have any recommendations of fully decodeable books that are in the order you teach the sounds all the way up to the end of Phase 5? It is much easier to find fully decodable ones for Phase 2 and 3. I have also looked at Bug Club and my Reception aged child brings these home and they are in correct sound order, but he is still at Phase 3. They are currently out of stock. If you are on a budget and know what you are looking for there are sets on Ebay and second hand on World Of Books. Hope this helps, and any replies about Phase 5 would be very welcome - thank you.

4. green_ink

green_ink New commenter

Also... just FYI in recent Ofsteds near us, as part of the Reading Deep Dive, schools have been picked up on not having reading books that directly link to the sounds that have been taught.

5. witchhazel

witchhazel New commenter

In the past I have used Dandelion readers. They were fairly reasonably priced. Each book has a particular sound focus, so should meet with O's criteria.

Shazzypops likes this.
  6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

A series called Jelly and Bean.

Shazzypops likes this.
  7. Shazzypops

Shazzypops New commenter

I'll take a look thank you. I've requested some samples.

8. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

I'm a big fan of Jelly and Bean too. Some people use Dandelion books, Rapid Readers/Phonics and Pop Books.

ViolaClef likes this.