1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full-time work and children

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hhhh, Apr 22, 2012.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

That politaicain who said x hadn't worked a day in her life, to which x responded that bringing up 5 kids was quite a hard job...Just wondered after a talk with fellow mums today.If money was no issue, and getting back into a job you wanted when you wanted was guaranteed, what hours if any would you work?
    Most mums said they wouldn't work fulltime while LOs were, well, LOs, if they could afford it, or if they could guarantee their job would be avaiable when they wanted it back.
    Some said they'd prefer not to work at all, two said they were desperate to keep working fulltime as even the most demanding boss lets you go to the toilet alone! And that why is it men aren't asked these questions, or that a man who does become the main carer is judged?
    Only one woman (not a teacher) was in what I think is a great sitaution, she is on a career break but can ring up in a few years! to request to go back certain hours, and she is almost certain to get what she wants (she works for a well-known insurance company). I appreciate this can't happen for most teachers.
    So, if money and future career concerns didn't apply, what would you do?

And not that I'm suggesting looking after kids isn't work!

2. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I think I would probably work 3 days a week while my LO was little, maybe up to when she started school. She will be almost 1 when I go back to school and just turned 4 when she starts school so it would be for a few years. The main reasons I can't do this is money and the fact I probably wouldn't get my full time hours back once she was in school!

3. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

Mr Gove would eradicate all mother teachers if he had his way, put us in the gas chamber