1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full time to part time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jo Mc, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Jo Mc

Jo Mc New commenter

Currently full time. Senco 0.5 and teach a morning group. Off work currently and wanting to return part time. If I proposed 10-2 every day with a longer day until 5 for staff meeting one day, what do you think this would equate to? 0.6? 0.5?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

We'd need to know how long full time days are before we could do the math.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

In my school (primary) contact hours are 25, so if you worked 10 - 2 for four days, and 10 - 5 on the fifth, that would total 23 hours; less (presumably) 5 hours for lunch, so you would be working 18 hours out of 25 or 72% of FTE.

Jo Mc likes this.
  4. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

TBH this sounds like a bad plan! Why don't you just drop a day?
    I have gone down to four days this term. It's great! I'm a non teaching Senco, although I did teach a day when I was full time. I don't work Mondays, so don't get that horrible Sunday night dread anymore. I make sure I don't do any work at all over the weekend then do a couple of hours on Monday morning when no ones home. Financially you don't actually lose a fifth of pay, it's slightly less.
    If you did the hours you're suggesting, I'm not sure how that would be practical? You're suggesting working over lunch time, so that cuts down teaching time or monitoring time as Senco. Would you really leave at two? Probably not, and then you'd resent staying.
    If you're asking because of the stress of workload, then your suggestion probably won't reduce that stress. You need a complete day not working!
    Ps, I'd go for Monday as your day off as I find this to be the most stressful day in school! For me, Tuesday is now the new Monday, but by the end of the day, I feel like I'm half way through my working week. Yes I know that's not strictly true, but perception is everything! I'm actually looking forward to doing some Christmas shopping next Monday, when everyone else is hard at work... I can't begin to tell you how this decision has helped my mental wellbeing.

5. Jo Mc

Jo Mc New commenter

I'd love to just drop a day or two but it's because of family issues. My daughter has send and I'd like to do the morning drop off and pick up wouldn't be able to stay later even if I wanted to.

Does each individual school have their own working hours?

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Yes, they do. If following STPCD, full time is 32.5 hours a week or 1265 hours a year. Start and finish times will vary between each school.

Jo Mc likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There's no two ways about it-any smidgen of time commitment that you give to a school on any single day means that that particular day is wholly scuppered.
    Your suggested hours will have your employer laughing behind your back-you'll save them money and they'll have you writing cover lessons for the last bit when you are not contracted. And on many days, as the stuff accumulates over the term, you'll find yourself going in earlier and earlier. You are Senco. You know full well how working your remit expands to fill available time in this way.
    I completely agree with the suggestion of requesting a whole day off, or one and a half or two. Trust me though, you wont get those days "off", you'll get them filled with the bitty tasks that you pushed aside in your lessons in order to breathe whilst working. The one major advantage is that you can do those tasks in the company of your own kettle and surveying your favourite loud socks,and in quiet weeks you may get the pleasure of talking to your phone provider long enough on the phone to query all the errors in your bill since you started as Senco-that, you wont get on your suggested hours.
    That all said, of course, in ignorance of the actual needs of your child. Maybe you need to rethink the whole plan, the whole place of work. There are always solutions that do not necessarily occur even on thinking long and hard...can you talk to other part time colleagues about this? See their reasons and feelings about working their particular hours?

Jo Mc likes this.