1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full-Time Teacher looking to supply to part-time study

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by newbieteacher3, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I've done a bit of browsing on these forums before, but must admit I'm quite new to the Supply Teaching board and have been a bit discouraged by a lot of what I'm seeing.
    I live quite central in SE London and I currently am teaching in a primary school which I'm really not happy with. That, combined with the fact that I would like to do a part-time course next year, made me think maybe I could do some supply work and therefore gain SOME of my free time back. That free time being used to carry out my course obligations.
    Though from what I've seen, the demand for primary supply teaching doesn't seem to be there anymore. I was hoping that being in Southwark with good links to Greenwich, Lewisham, Lambeth and Westminster there would be quite a bit of demand for supply teachers.
    I guess what I am hoping to ask is two-fold.
    1. In these kinds of areas, would there be adequate enough demand for me to work at a primary level 3-4 days a week, most weeks?
    2. Is this a viable option if I also want to study part-time?
    Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm really curious as I see no other way of being able to study and still fund it (as I certainly haven't got the time as a full-time teacher!)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi there,
    I've done a bit of browsing on these forums before, but must admit I'm quite new to the Supply Teaching board and have been a bit discouraged by a lot of what I'm seeing.
    I live quite central in SE London and I currently am teaching in a primary school which I'm really not happy with. That, combined with the fact that I would like to do a part-time course next year, made me think maybe I could do some supply work and therefore gain SOME of my free time back. That free time being used to carry out my course obligations.
    Though from what I've seen, the demand for primary supply teaching doesn't seem to be there anymore. I was hoping that being in Southwark with good links to Greenwich, Lewisham, Lambeth and Westminster there would be quite a bit of demand for supply teachers.
    I guess what I am hoping to ask is two-fold.
    1. In these kinds of areas, would there be adequate enough demand for me to work at a primary level 3-4 days a week, most weeks?
    2. Is this a viable option if I also want to study part-time?
    Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm really curious as I see no other way of being able to study and still fund it (as I certainly haven't got the time as a full-time teacher!)
    Thanks in advance!

3. Have you tried to get a part-time job instead or asked if you can become a job-share? Would part-time study help you in your teaching and so you could sell it to your school as a way to keep you on.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think most of us 'long-term supplies' would say if you have a permanent job, hang on to it! If your part-time course is education related, see if you can negotiate a part-time sabbatical/ go part-time for a year, whatever BUT do not try to rely on supply.

5. Thank you for the speedy replies. I currently work in a school that aren't fond of part-time teaching and the course I want to do is for a long-term goal of becoming a writer so it's out on being supported by the school also.
    I guess this is seeming like less of a viable alternative.

6. You will get plenty of experience of writing on supply. Writing out benefit claims, writing out CRB forms, writing covering letters to agencies and schools, writing out tax claims.
    And if you are lucky enough to get some regular work, writing out some Lesson Plans.
    Sorry for being very cynical.
    However supply is the roll of a dice, sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you ain't.
    If you have a job, I would not roll the dice!