1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

full time nursery & juggling workload

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by pancake99, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Thank you for your advice and kind words, i suppose i just have to resign myself to putting things on hold.

2. Its hard - you sounds quite career driven like me. I found it hard to realise I didn't have to do it all at once and my family life was more important. I did enjoy using my brain when i went back!

3. We'll be working till we're 68 - plenty of time for stress and overwork later. Sounds bad perhaps, but I also find I care less than I used to. So your boss finds fault, what's he going to do - sack you?

4. well he could fail me at PM so i dont go through the TH (yep he has threatned to fail someone else to get them to leave and they did - he is VERY effective at breaking you down.
    like you, my friend says, stop trying to please him because he doesnt seem to likre you anyway
    trouble is im one of those people who likes to know im doing a good job

5. Grr, I wrote a whole load more and it disappeared! I try to keep this as a my main motivation - Am I doing this for the good and the progress of the kids in my class? If you don't believe it is, don't do it (or at least, don't spend much time on it). And you do have to trust your own professional judgement on this (unfortunately), but it is ultimately the reason we are in teaching. You need to find your own method for prioritising your workload.
    Do you really need the validation of this man to know you are doing a good job? He doesn't sounds very nice. It sounds more like you need a bit more confidence in your own abilities. Say you don't go through the threshold this year, he will find it hard to keep justifying it to the unions and the governors year after year if you do your bit properly. You'll just have to be a bit more hard-faced about it. But my guess is that it wouldn't come to that anyway.For this year, you might find you have better things to worry about than a hundred pounds a month or whatever it is. Do it next year instead.

6. THANKS mac78, sorry it all disappeared - so annoying!
    i'll try and adopt that attitude - many thanks

7. Hi joss, wow, two lovely little girls! How cute!
    Goign back to work isn't as awful as I thought it would be. Admittedly, family look after my LO but you still feel **** for the first wee while for leaving them. LO didn;t mind at all!

You find yourself becoming so much more efficient at work (although you sound like you already were!). I push myself a lot harder to get stuff done in school hours and try to get in early the two mornings a week that I can. I don;t think I''ll have much energy past LO's bedtime, but if things need to get done, i;m sure i'll manage.
    Good luckm your boss sounds mean, any chance of looking elsewhere?

8. I went back full time and to be honest during the first year back I wasn't as efficient as I had been and every thing that I didn't do I felt they were thinking 'Well she's had a kid, what do you expect?'. However, after I had realised that whatever I did it would never be enough (as someone else said, there is always more that you can do) I prioritised what was important and what could slide a bit! During the second year back I concentrated on making sure the exam classes were good again (Secondary here!) and that some of the extra curricular things that I had done previously re-appeared. Having given myself a bit of space (and I'm usually out of school by 4pm, unless we have meetings) I feel much more confident about the year ahead.
    My outlook on life is my holiday time is for my child. I work when they sleep, but realise that I can't do everything. I'm a HOD. If I can't do it and no-one else will/does then it's not going to happen. Luckily my boss has come round and is actually very supportive of what I do and sees that I'm keeping the department on an even keel. If you have responsibility for something, make sure one thing happens and do that - don't try to do lots of things that you don't have time to make work effectively!
    Good luck

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Could you job share? I know it's less money, but you could save nursery fees, travel etc. Work out how much less it really is when you factor in this and less tax

10. I'm so glad I found these posts. I'll be returning to work full time in september and LO going to nursery full time. I went back for a couple of weeks at the end of term and really didn't enjoy it, there were a few tears every day and I felt stressed out the whole time.
    On the plus side I've been taking LO to nursery over the hols and he seems to have settled in fine so won't need to worry too much about that in september.
    I used to think I was carees driven, but turns out I'm not really. Also for financial reasons I haven't really considered working part time, but the more I think about it now the more it appeals.
    Not wanting to impose on the OP but thanks for sharing your experiences, it makes a difference knowing that there are others out there who have or are going through similar sittuation.