1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full time MA and supply...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thewritingsupply, May 18, 2019.

1. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I’m just wondering whether anybody here has studied for a full time masters course and continued to work on supply. It’s a taught masters and will require attendance on specific days (not sure what they are yet).

Obviously, supply is flexible so works well alongside other commitments but I just wondered whether it’s viable to do a full time MA and work as well?

I understand that people’s experiences may vary, but just wanted to get some general advice.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I havent studied a MA but I am studying now something very basic and even that takes longer than I thought.

If I were you, I would write up a scedule and include the times you have to be in lectures, tutials, workshops etc, time for study, leisure time, household tasks like cleaning and shopping etc.

Once you know your course committed time plus study and research time, you may get an idea of how many days you could fit supply in.

What MA are you thinking of?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thewritingsupply

@pepper5 I will be studying an MA in digital marketing. According to the university, the course is around 12 hours contact time every week so I am hoping this is over 2 days.

To be honest, I can undertake more exam marking during the year and will also have half of my student loan to live on too.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I would draw up a schedule. How many hours do you think you might need to study outside the 12 hours contact time? Also, time to do the assignments? Day to day supply is flexible so you can perhaps work more days in one week and less in others depending on assignments. As you say, you have exam marking and loans so it sounds as though you have thought it out.

All the best for your course. Is that a September start?

5. thewritingsupply

It is a September start.

Have contacted the university to try and find out how the course was scheduled for the last academic year just so I can get an idea of what it may look like for this year.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I'm going to do a MSc next year however it's distance learning through online lesson plans & assignments so a slightly different scenario

I think your best off doing what you've done already & phoning to check taught hours

pepper5 likes this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Also, the university may include in the course description the amount of recommended study time outside of class - the hours you will have to do for reading and writing assignments. When I look at the number of hours outside of class, whatever they may be, I always add a few hours on. However, that is not always possible if you have to balance work with study.

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I resumed Open University study. I found that by the time I’d got home, de-stressed, done the cooking , washing up, laundry , ironing , I had no inclination and little time for study...

Of course, I may have been extremely unfortunate in the schools I went to (long term).

On the other hand, lovely schools rarely need lots of Supply Teachers...

Very demanding. As others have said draw up a schedule. Test drive the schedule between now and the end of term to see how things go.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. LostInBooks

LostInBooks New commenter

I have done an MA before going into the life of supply and even then I found barely any time for work or extra curricular activities.

My coursework demands were high and we had weekly tutorials to attend. Our contact hours ended up at around 3 days a week.

10. thewritingsupply

Thanks. I will continue day to day supply, although I am currently applying for roles more suited to my MA course that are part time so I am hoping that I won't need to do supply when my course starts, if I manage to secure one of these roles.

I am fortunate as I also do a fair bit of freelance work which I am able to do remotely, and can spend weekends earning money on these projects.

My plan is that I will have three days commited to the course, two days supply (if I need it) and weekends for any mopping up for assignments or freelance work.

I'm also fortunate that I am giving quite a bit to live in as part of the loan which is leftover after I pay tuition fees.

11. chstones

chstones New commenter

I've been doing a full time MA this year and have been doing supply on the side. It worked fine for me as my agency were really understanding and knew that there would be times I'd have lots of deadlines and wouldn't be able to work. I'd say it depends on what your timetable is like. I was lucky to only be in university for 3 days a week and managed to arrange tutorials within those 3 days so I could guarantee I'd be available for supply at least 1 day a week. University terms also work differently than school terms so there may be times you'll be available for more work.

In terms of workload, I had the same approach as you're planning and didn't find that my grades suffered, but there were some weeks where I felt overwhelmed with work. I took course reading on supply with me so I had the option of doing it at lunchtime if I felt like I was behind and I tried to do a bit when I got back if I wasn't completely exhausted (very rare!). If you're flexible and can do uni work on evenings/weekends/between lectures it'll work out fine. Tutoring/exam marking are good options when supply is less frequent and the MA doesn't have teaching hours in the summer term. I hope you have the same luck with your agency as I did with mine.

pepper5 likes this.