1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full retirement at 58? Sensible?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by -, Mar 28, 2015.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Me too! I'm okay overall but only have twenty something years. No where near 36. Some people don't have any idea when they are well off.

catmother likes this.
  2. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

I stopped nearly a year ago at 56 and would not want to go back into the classroom. Life on the other side of teching is what you make of it and for me it has been the best years since I was a child. Discovering the simple pleasures in life is so refreshing.

3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Great comment @heldon. Having enough time for people and for your own interests contrasts sharply with years of bad sleep, over work and constant pressure. Decades of never getting a proper lunch break or having the time to use the loo. The cheap foreign holidays and the lunch dates are lovely, of course, but getting eight hours sleep and doing a crossword on the toilet are the everyday things that make retirement a joy.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Spot on! (I went just before my 57th birthday - best thing I ever did as regards my job!)

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Just remember Steve jobs died age 56
    All the money in the world couldn’t save him
    I was 60 years old yesterday

Every day I wake up I get to enjoy life

6. eljefeb90

Belated happy birthday and welcome to the club. How is the head? You are not wrong. We have all seen colleagues who only managed a year or two of retirement or who tragically died even younger. My younger brother's heart attack at 54, made me take the decision to step off the treadmill. Our years of active good health inevitably grow fewer as we approach our 60th.
    In any case, I am sure I was not unique in always thinking I would retire early. It was more or less the norm 'back in the day', wasn't it? Back in the eighties , I remember those rejuvenated recently retired fifty-somethings coming to end of year celebrations. It was regarded a bit like firemen and policemen who retire after 30 years and then do something else or simply enjoy their retirement. Teachers typically did a few more years but not many more and there were always the old stalwarts who clung on, but they were very much in the minority. Does my memory deceive me ?

7. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Congratulations! Time for a username change.....

8. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Yes I know
    60s man might be taken but as I was born in 1959 50smsn still works

What do others Think?

9. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Meant to say 50sman still works

Lara mfl 05 and eljefeb90 like this.
  10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Yes, you could continue with your current user name if it’s referring to the fact that you were born in the 1950’s rather than being in your 50’s which you are not anymore. Besides, we all know you as 50’s man! :D
    Happy birthday, by the way!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Thank you

I had come to the same conclusion - also changing my username would mean losing all my post history and mean I would spend the first few months having all my posts moderated.

Piranha, Lara mfl 05 and catmother like this.
  12. Dorsetdreams

@holdingon became @heldon. I liked that.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Yes, very sensible. I retired in 1999 just short of my 59th birthday and here I am as fit as ever. I have a substantial garden that keeps me occupied and I walk a great deal. Just come back from a week in Dorset and whilst there I tackled the strenuous walk from Lulworth Cove to Weymouth, a distance of 10 miles in six hours. Looking forward to walking part of the River Wye in a few weeks. My advice is to keep active and even in mid winter I try to walk at least three miles a day.

14. Dorsetdreams

"...walk from Lulworth Cove to Weymouth..." Lovely. I hope you has a quick pint as Osmington Mills. I'm still dreaming.....

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Just to advise you all that I have requested deletion of my account and posts made by myself. Therefore it may no longer be appropriate to add more posts to this thread. The posts may not disappear completely but my username will.
    I have decided to no longer peruse these boards. I have also found some recent comments alluding to my mental health unhelpful and completely false.
    I wish you all well with your future plans.

16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That’s very sad, Guest. It’s a shame when people can’t respect other’s viewpoints even if they are quite different from their own. At least one person on here has been quite rude to you but I respect your viewpoint and reasoning. These fora exist to allow questioning and mulling things over. I hope you reconsider but I wish you well for the future whatever your decision. And make that future whatever suits you not others.

17. eljefeb90

What a shame.Although one of the good things about getting older is knowing exactly what and who you are prepared to put up with. Thanks for being so open and revealing and good luck with your plans.

Lucy2711 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Oh, what a shame @no longer a user . I have enjoyed ( if that’s the right word) reading your posts, your thoughts and your progress. It is a shame that Inappropriate and ignorant comments about you mean we will lose your company.
    I, for one, would love to know how the next few years work out for you. There is nothing wrong with being indecisive , it’s a common response to major life changing decisions. My answers to such a decision has been very different to yours, but it good to read of alternatives

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That is so sad that anyone feels like that.
    AS this post suggests
    the best thung about these boards is where genuine dialogue happens, with no-one feeling their opinion is worth less than anyone else's and real debate happens, to help any posters (and lurkers) through any difficulties. No-one should have to feel they need to delete their account and 'us oldies' worry about people who've been through it when they no longer post.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  20. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I had a 'moment' when I realised that all financial planning for retirement (whatever) was rather pointless because.... unless you know when you're going to die..... you simply can't do it and I suspect that is why @no longer a user was wavering. So there is no answer to any question. Is like learning to swim or ride a bike...ultimately you just have to push off. This is coming from someone who took vol redundancy at 58++ and who then in the next Oct took up work with a LA and am still doing it at 68+! However it is not in a classroom nor a school; I know I can stop whenever I chose to; can take nice holidays because I am earning that money and it keeps me out of mischief! (plus I do enjoy making a difference to the kids I work with) I understand Paul's position though..... and would say....do what you think best for now and what you can be happy with.

Good luck....oh and don't leave cos of the odd numpty/nasty person..... gives them too much 'power/kudos'.